• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry vs concealed

I carry outside the waistband. Much more comfortable and easier access to the weapon.

As far as concealed it would all depend on wether my clothing covers it or not. Never really pay all that much attention to that part.

As for it being a target.. Since the pro gun side (us) uses being armed as a deterrent to crime as a major reason to carry and that being armed is cited as a specific reason that reduces crime. Seems almost the opposite to believe that open carry would be anything other than a good thing.

While certainly being appropriate to the surroundings would be a determining factor just just like if I'm deciding on wearing a suit or jeans to an event... Open carry is an important aspect of our freedom.

Can't seem to recall a single instance where an open carrier was specifically targeted in a crime over someone who was unarmed (or appeared to be unarmed as would be the case of a concealed carrier)

heres one

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/2...wal-mart-bathroom-because-it-wasnt-concealed/

Actually that wasn't really the same. He was robbed not shot at as is implied.
No different than saying they ambushed him for his wallet or watch or carjacking.

They didn't target him in a shooting first as is being implied in the argument against open carry.
If anything it's a good example of how any weapon isn't a guarantee against being robbed.
Sounds like an excellent example to me, he was carrying open, they knew it and just simply wacked him and took the weapon. Simple Just wait until you're unaware. Not knowing if a person is armed or where the weapon is, ankle holster, leg, waist, front or back put's you at an advantage. There's no guarantee against being robbed, but why let them know what they're going to take off you, wallet and the weapon?

Sounds like an excellent example to me, he was carrying open, they knew it and just simply wacked him and took the weapon. Simple Just wait until you're unaware. Not knowing if a person is armed or where the weapon is, ankle holster, leg, waist, front or back put's you at an advantage. There's no guarantee against being robbed, but why let them know what they're going to take off you, wallet and the weapon?

Just replace the word gun with watch. Blaming the victim because he has a visible item of value is not the same thing.
What was alluded to in this thread was that during a shooting or attack that open carriers would be the "first" people targeted over those who were unarmed.

Any item of value being visible could open yourself up for a snatch and grab robbery. If you are against open carry are you also against wedding rings? Or watches? Or earrings?
How about no fancy cars.... Or wallets not on a chain...

I'm new here and don't want to cause waves but open carry is a deterrent to crime plain and simple. It's also a right of a free person. And the fact that it scares some people isn't a reason to dislike it.

Freedom is often scary...

Just replace the word gun with watch. Blaming the victim because he has a visible item of value is not the same thing.
What was alluded to in this thread was that during a shooting or attack that open carriers would be the "first" people targeted over those who were unarmed.

Any item of value being visible could open yourself up for a snatch and grab robbery. If you are against open carry are you also against wedding rings? Or watches? Or earrings?
How about no fancy cars.... Or wallets not on a chain...

I'm new here and don't want to cause waves but open carry is a deterrent to crime plain and simple. It's also a right of a free person. And the fact that it scares some people isn't a reason to dislike it.

Freedom is often scary...

You're Analogy to open carry Vs wedding rings etc, makes no sense. There no statistics that show where carrying a weapon openly on your hip is a deterrent to crime, but instead just makes you a nice target. States that have CCP have been proved to have lower crime rates as it close to Russian Roulette to who your next victim is as they may be packing bigger heat than yours. Do what you wish, but sensible Gun owners will continue to cover up their piece instead of pretending they're in Dodge City, where everyone carried in the old days. Wild Bill Hickcock carried open, but was shot in the back of the head, so much for his fast draw open carry. Everyone carried open in the wild west, didn't stop Jesse and Frank to lower the crime rate did it?

Last edited:
My doctors bill for the back problems i am developing are not going to be worth it to conceal carry much longer. I still plan to wear my shirt over the gun but OWB is about to be my only choice.

CliffB- I can no longer carry on the side, either outside with a garment over it or iwb, due to a back injury years ago. Knowing that "carry I must", totally by accident I discovered appendix carry (right up front off to one side of the belt buckle). And this position can be done either owb or iwb and be concealed. True- there are adjustments that have to be made but I carry "back pain free" now and have been for about 4 years. If you have not already, please give it a try. It may just do the trick. JP

I OC, I CC. Just depends on my mood. Most of the time I CC. I don't concern myself with what or how other people carry. I just wish more would.

You're Analogy to open carry Vs wedding rings etc, makes no sense. There no statistics that show where carrying a weapon openly on your hip is a deterrent to crime, but instead just makes you a nice target. States that have CCP have been proved to have lower crime rates as it close to Russian Roulette to who your next victim is as they may be packing bigger heat than yours. Do what you wish, but sensible Gun owners will continue to cover up their piece instead of pretending they're in Dodge City, where everyone carried in the old days. Wild Bill Hickcock carried open, but was shot in the back of the head, so much for his fast draw open carry. Everyone carried open in the wild west, didn't stop Jesse and Frank to lower the crime rate did it?

I'm sure all the law enforcement officers will start switching to concealed carry any day now...

;-)

Because it works so much better.

Why not do both? I have open carried for over 30- years. never been robbed nor harassed. I also conceal a backup just in case. No studies have ever been done that proves "open carry" makes someone more of a target. It has shown it to be a deterrent nonetheless. Carry for protection and for peace of mind. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom