• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

These 45-70 were cast a year ago. I'd ordered some gas checks from Sage Outdoors so tried to put them on with my Lyman 450 today. The 2 standing up, take a look at pic. I'm using a .458 sizer. Didn't have the right top punch, that's not issue. Problem is the force to start it into the die almost takes the 450 to breaking point. Without the gas check it's easy into the die. Just the 500 gr made for checks, not trying to do non gas check 350s.View attachment 3084374
Are you sure those are gas check bullets ?

If you're having to really lay into your sizer to get them sized, you just might want to check into how hard the lead is you're using. The harder the lead is, the more force it takes to size 'em.

I made mistake of assuming it was a GC bullet. Y'all right it was not. I didn't even take a second look. After 50+ years reloading it's still possible to make a mistake. Got me being more careful with everything. Lesson learned.

That is really good times DickyRivers ! Good luck with your new mold. They are shipping them now I got one from midway this weekend ! Yours can't be far behind

Thays awesome news!

I’ve been loving the little Lee 105 gr swc 6 cavity I got to start with but there was a 158 gr flat nose round that folks over on cast boolits said was an awesome all around’er. I’m hoping to make a thousand of each bullet here soon that’ll take me to the next cool snap in the fall and would cover all the primers I have on-hand anyways between those and some bullets I already have on hand. Fingers crossed!

I’ve been out shooting this evening. I’m not a great shot by any means but one-holed 4 at 15 yards right in the bullseye with my model 10... then threw the other 2 off. I’ve got a new-to-me 627 I’ve been trying to get better with too. I can keep them all in the black much better than the model 10 but I need more practice. Much more. I hear folks talking about shooting offhand 1-2” groups at 25 yards and I want to get there. I may just never have the steady hands for it... but damned if I won’t try and get there someday.

Back
Top Bottom