• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

I’d love to start learning more about casting lead.

I got a few things to melt already but don’t have the proper equipment just yet. I’m thinking an old camp stove and a cast iron pot would melt and clean off the trash and then make the small bars.

what would be a good pot for melting the small bars to pour in the mold?

Got a suggestion. Try powder coating your cast bullets to make them act like jacketed bullets. No lube needed. Powder coating is cheap, fast and easy. See "castbullets" online for all details. You should size them after powder coating them as the powder coating adds approximately .001" to the cast diameter.

I’d love to start learning more about casting lead.

I got a few things to melt already but don’t have the proper equipment just yet. I’m thinking an old camp stove and a cast iron pot would melt and clean off the trash and then make the small bars.

what would be a good pot for melting the small bars to pour in the mold?

I have a Lee production pot that has a bottom pour spout but you can use a ladle use the same camp stove and cast iron pot to cast once you get the lead cleaned up. Lots of folks just use a ladle-cast rather than having a bottom pour setup.

I have a Lee production pot that has a bottom pour spout but you can use a ladle use the same camp stove and cast iron pot to cast once you get the lead cleaned up. Lots of folks just use a ladle-cast rather than having a bottom pour setup.

would I need to keep the mold hot like the ladle or just pour very slowly and carefully into the mold over the pot?

would I need to keep the mold hot like the ladle or just pour very slowly and carefully into the mold over the pot?

I’ve never cast using a ladle myself but I imagine it’s simple. Get your mold hot and start ladling your melt into the mold. Your ladle would have to be hot so you wouldn’t have a pile of lead stick, same as the mold. I’d just read up over at cast boolits website. Having a pot with the bottom spout is a bit of a convenience. It is by no means a necessity.

New molds are always nice. Good luck on getting them in hope it gets there soon. Me and my brother banged out close to 1k the other day. Sure dont take long with a 6 hole. We went through and culled pretty hard and dropped about 80 back in the pot. I got all of them powder coated and looking forward to putting some down range tomorrow.

I was about to cast one morning and mentioned needing some mold release. My house cleaner said "Why won't spray cooking oil work". I tried it. It works just as good.

I was about to cast one morning and mentioned needing some mold release. My house cleaner said "Why won't spray cooking oil work". I tried it. It works just as good.
Hmm. Wouldn't have thought that would work. You cast in the 600-700 degree range. I thought cooking oil burned off in the 400degree range.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom