• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

I am so happy you posted a casting question. I hope this becomes a discussion.
I have been reloading with these commercial bullets for a long time. I still use these but Im also trying to make 2 different perfect bullets on my own. One for subsonic and one for supersonic.
I am more interese(rbgly?) invested in loading black powder rounds. Just in case I can never buy powder again. 45-70 is so diverse. I worship 45-70 as a caliber of rifle.
bullets.jpg

@rOmiLaYu showed me his MArlin Dark and then I threaded my mine. This rifle is pure old man sex. I love this rifle and my grandkids will have it.
marlin.jpg

Nobody brings up casting on here
I bought a 1884 Trapdoor in 1989. At the time I belonged to a pre1840 club and enjoyed BP and had been casting round balls and minie. I picked up a lee 405 flatbase and used it with 3031 and pyrodex. Then put it away. I recently got another 1884 and the Wolf book on re creating govt loads. And now when i'm interested in it again everything is out of stock... thats the way it goes. I do want to cast some for a SW 45 DA brazilian contract, the 45/70 and .38. I did just join the cast boolits(as 41mag said) and have been learning some things.
i appreciate the replys from all.
brian

Yeah. I normally lurk over at cast boolits to soak up the info over there. I have had a good week. I managed to get 25 lbs of 50-50 for $2/lb a few days ago from FB Marketplace...
7C276E3C-EEE0-4F8F-8BA1-EBE78B7E0E30.jpeg

...and lubed the last 2/3 or so of a 900 bullet batch of my first run of a .358 105gr SWC last night.
45A44CA9-C130-415C-8541-9547796B44C9.jpeg

My buddy was trying to get into reloading 9mm and couldn’t get any bullets. I got a .357 resizer along w/a .358 I had and did a couple dozen of each size for him to try. These dropped at around 110-112 gr. The next batch might be a touch lighter when I add the tin, but hopefully they’ll be a smidge prettier. These shot happily from my old Model 10. Looking to maybe getting a lever gun and making a small game load out of these. I’ve got another mold on back order that’ll be here later this month from Midway for some flat nose 158s that should be fun.
BFF1254F-302A-4B27-B59F-F94A2EDD2FC2.png

Got a few batches of free lead between some stuff a few folks around gave me and a local mom and pop tire shop passed along in wheel weights, which were mostly zinc... but free is free. My old man passed a few years back and it’s something he talked about doing when he was young to afford to be able to shoot a lot. It was just something I sort of picked up to try out something I heard him tell stories about. I’ve not been disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom