• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

280 load/bullet questions...

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
So after a few years of seeing the rifles in the safe, it's time to put together some loads for two 280 Remington chambered rifles. Looking for suggestions on good bullets, then powders if anyone has anything that they prefer. Rifles would be used eventually for deer, possibly something out west (back up for elk if I can swing a trip some day). I had planned on sticking around 150gr bullets for now (and that's what I have on hand), but open to others if needed.

I have about 150 Nosler ballistic tips, and about half a box of 154gr Hornady spire points and Remington PSPs. But i don't mind buying something new if it's that much better.

Powder I have on hand (related to the Nosler reloading manual for the 280/150gr): H4831 (have seen folks with good results from this), IMR4831, R22 (Nosler says most accurate), IMR 4831, H4350, and Varget.

Not sure that it matters too much but rifles would be primarily a Ruger #1 international and a Remington 7600 pump (action isn't quite as strong in this but should be fine for most loads I assume). I've got a couple of hundred pieces of prepped brass, mostly R-P and Federal, but some winchester nickel as well. Would be nice if the same load shot well (enough) in both rifles, but don't mind if I have one load for each rifle. Don't need sub MOA, just sub MOD (minute of deer). I would probably develop a load for the #1 and hope that it shot decent enough in the 7600.

Thoughts?

My brother loaded some for me with 162gr Hornady Interlock. They've worked well on deer. They're the old lead tipped bullets, not polymer.

Here are two loads from the gunsmith who worked over my rifle. Not sure what would work for your rifles specifically of course. Mine is bolt action.

280_2.jpg

280_1.jpg

What make the rifle? Mine is model 70
Winchester bought new in 80s . Yet these lightweight 22 inch barrels not as accurate as the heavy barrels . I feel comfortable with this rifle at 150 yards

What make the rifle? Mine is model 70
Winchester bought new in 80s . Yet these lightweight 22 inch barrels not as accurate as the heavy barrels . I feel comfortable with this rifle at 150 yards
OP is Rem 7600 and Ruger #1. My rifle is built on a 1920s Winchester Model 54 action. It's pretty heavy.

Yeah those heavy barrels make difference plus right load for the gun .kinda like shotguns get better patterns out certain make shells or loads
I had a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in 280 and it did not want to group as well, nor was it as pleasant to shoot. Really neat rifle though as far as the handling went.

I had a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in 280 and it did not want to group as well, nor was it as pleasant to shoot. Really neat rifle though as far as the handling went.
The one I have,i replaced the stock with one those Ram line stocks barrel is free floated it shoots decent and your correct the feather weight guns dont shoot as well as other models but good gun for those long walks in some areas I hunt .

Anything weight partition is going to be statistically less consistent than basically any BT or Hornady bullet. Personally, I would take those 150gr NBT you have and kill a boat load of deer! I run 150gr Federal Powr shok and a 162gr AMAX in my slightly slower 7mm08 and have yet to worry about the recovery or extended life span of anything they hit. The new ELDM is ever better, but I load those in my 7RM and again the job gets done with great accuracy. That rifle shoots ~.3" at 100 yards. 162gr@2935fps

Oh, but do not expect a bunch from the pump. 150 yard or less gun for sure!

Back
Top Bottom