• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need load for 44 mag 1000fps

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Guys I want to load up some JSP 240 gr 44 mag to 1000 fps. IN A RIFLE. Anyone have a recipe for that? BEst I can come up with is 8.5 gr Unique. Only concern is that 8,5gr is below starting loads in my books. I am seeing it as starting for CAST 240 gr at about 1125 fps. I know that jaceted bullets will be slower than cast with the same load. Any suggestions? Thanks, Wallace

Guys I want to load up some JSP 240 gr 44 mag to 1000 fps. IN A RIFLE. Anyone have a recipe for that? BEst I can come up with is 8.5 gr Unique. Only concern is that 8,5gr is below starting loads in my books. I am seeing it as starting for CAST 240 gr at about 1125 fps. I know that jaceted bullets will be slower than cast with the same load. Any suggestions? Thanks, Wallace

Well, it's going to be Hodgdon-product based, but if you go to https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/?t=1 and select the Rifle section, they have a load for a 240gr cast bullet that comes in at 908fps using Titegroup and another using HP-38. If you futz around with the calculator you should be able to get a load in the right ballpark, although it will (necessarily) be a Hodgdon powder of some kind.

1711229579273.png

1711229712691.png

Yes I saw those. I know that jacketed bullets are slower that cast when fired with the same load. I am not sure what percent slower they go or if there is any way to compute it.

No way to compute it as far as I know, but you're basically looking for a round that is going subsonic, and as you can see, the 'normal' max speed of the round is comfortably into the supersonic. I doubt if a lead projectile is going to be going 10% faster.

Load a set of laddered loads starting at the starting load as specified and work up until you get a sonic crack.

Any chance you can shoot 44 special brass, or move to a 300gr bullet?

I was looking into this a while ago for a 44 mag rifle I was thinking about threading and then shooting subsonic loads thru a can. I bought a bunch of 44 special brass, and a 300gr mold, but didn't get the rifle threaded (Ruger 96/44), and decided to get a 45-70 that was factory threaded for a big bore rifle (Marlin Dark).

I read a while ago where some were loading to 44 special loads and using 44 special powder load and OAL, and just seating the bullets deeper in the 44 mag brass. Made sense but never got around to trying it.

Keep us posted on what you find and develop if you don't mind. Some day I still want a 44 mag lever gun that's threaded. and a 357/38.. and the list goes on and on. :)

Back
Top Bottom