• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

Anyone in /around Atlanta cast 45/70 lead?
Specifically the hollow base 405 grain that supposed to be the original load for a trapdoor? I have a flat base mold but after reading Wolfs' book I'd like to try the hb and see if groups would tighten up.

What powder are you using? Smokeless or BP? How long are you seating them? Have you made a chamber cast yet to see what size bullet you need? If its an original trap door odds are you'll need a larger diameter bullet but you need a chamber cast or pound cast to know what size you need.

What powder are you using? Smokeless or BP? How long are you seating them? Have you made a chamber cast yet to see what size bullet you need? If its an original trap door odds are you'll need a larger diameter bullet but you need a chamber cast or pound cast to know what size you need.
Ill be using BP. I have loaded for one of the trapdoors years ago. I had some fiber wads that I used and compressed the powder slightly. The fb 405 grain Lee.
I have a 'newer' trapdoor made (1891). Yesterday i put an order in with rotometals. They have a alloy for chamber casting so I ordered it, 1:20 and 1:30 blends to try. Ill check both chambers before moving forward. That hollow base mold you have is .459?
Photo on 2-3-21 at 4.57 PM.jpg

I've made a few hundred 405 flat bottoms. Tried my hand at powder coating some but haven't gotten that down perfect yet. BHN and FPS have a lot to with casting for 45-70 (and every other caliber). Different alloys will make different diameters. Soft lead comes out .457 in this mold but 18bhn comes out .459 where I want it.
I'd like to try some of those hollow based ones.
View attachment 3075884

What temp do you cast them at? Try your soft alloy but higher temp you should get them to bump up some.

Well... brought home 1/3 of a bucket of WWs from an place I’ve gotten some awhile and had another place say they’d hold back a bucket for me where I just got some tires put on my old truck.

Once I get some 2400 powder to load some hot .357s... I might try my hand at powder coating myself. I’ve only used Unique and Bullseye thus far but got a couple others recently to try but I hear 2400 is good stuff for .357. I consider myself still a baby just starting out. I’ve made some ingots and done a batch I’m pretty proud of but only have my first mold still. Can’t wait for the second one to arrive. What little bit I’ve done and shot though I’ve been happy with. I just got a couple bags of rubber mulch and stuck them in a cardboard box early this week and used that to do some .38 and .22 shooting in. Figure I might as well keep my lead to reuse if I’m just punching holes in paper. Works good for a pistol. For those big ‘ole rifle rounds... you’ve probably just blow the box up and scatter rubber mulch in a 10-20 yard circle. It’d be neat to watch!

These 45-70 were cast a year ago. I'd ordered some gas checks from Sage Outdoors so tried to put them on with my Lyman 450 today. The 2 standing up, take a look at pic. I'm using a .458 sizer. Didn't have the right top punch, that's not issue. Problem is the force to start it into the die almost takes the 450 to breaking point. Without the gas check it's easy into the die. Just the 500 gr made for checks, not trying to do non gas check 350s.
IMG_20210204_233536.jpg

Back
Top Bottom