• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet casters

Powder coating is awesome. I use a clear powder coat so it looks like plain lead. The powder coat adds diameter to the boolit and then you can resize afterwards right where you want it. No leading and no smoke.

Rosewood
How do you apply it?

I ordered my powder from the guy called Smoke4320 on the Castboolit forum. Not sure what brand it is. The boolits must be oil free, don't touch them with bare hands or dirty gloves. After you cast your boolits and let them cool/dry, you put them in a cool whip bowl with black air soft BBs. You shake the heck out of it. The BBs and bowl give a static charge that makes the powders stick to the boolits. I then pick them out with a pair of plastic or the like clean gloves and place them on a tray with non-stick Al foil on it. If you put powder on the tips of your gloves, it prevents marks. Some folks use forceps, that takes too long to me. Bake in toaster oven at 400 deg for 15 minutes. Let them cool and you are ready to load or you can run through sizer dry. Never had any issues with paint coming off in sizer or seen the need for lube. The paint is slick enough.

Good news, the process is way faster than alox lube and waiting for the lube to dry. Bad news is, it is more work. But the results are amazing.

For the toaster over, I just bought a new one for the kitchen and retired the old one to the shop.

Rosewood

glad to see some discussions on casting. I'm finishing up a move and reset of my reloading room, but want to start casting in the next few months. I've picked up some molds, lead, pot, sizer, powder coating (smoke on CB) and a garage sale toaster oven.

If anyone on the north side of ATL is casting in the next month or two and doesn't mind a newbie (caster, been reloading for 30+ years) watching over their shoulder, let me know. would be glad to bring some lead or molds (have a 44mag 300gr, 6.8SPC 110gr, and 300BO 247gr mold in particular I want to try).

Need to find a 35rem 200gr RN mold and maybe a 348win 200grRN mold if anyone has them laying around collecting dust. :)

I had heard the harbor freight red worked well, it didn't do as well as the powder from Smoke. I forgot how much I ordered from him, but it last a long time.

Rosewood
The old formula did. But if I'm not mistaken hf dont cary the red any more. I use the Eastman's ford blue. Using the shake and bake method it coats well. I also have some of smokes powders, the green didnt coat to well for me.

This what you are looking for? Lee .459 HB 405?
P2030001.JPG

Use these in my 1877 Sharps w/70gn of blackpowder. SPG lubed.

Back
Top Bottom