• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 Remington Pump Completed

No real color change between boil 5 & 6. Going to go with one or two more boils on the parts just to see if they darken any more. They are for the most part black on the parts I previously started on.

I think if you get to boil 7 and there is no streaks/spots and its all velvety smooth and beautiful, its prolly done. Time to card them and let them rest about 24 hours in a nice coat of oil or grease.

Luck.!

So here is a picture of the action bar assembley & nut, barrel band, end screw cap, and barrel spacer after 7 coats of Pilkingtons and boils, heavly oiled and sitting the recomended 24 hours. This next picture is the reciever before carding. You can see the lines from where the Pilkingtons was applied. These came out with the carding and are no loger visible and are basicly a result of the cotton ball being drug across the metal. After carding with the brush and especially "STEEL WOOL" I have been wiping down the parts with clean paper towels. The steel wool tends to stay on the metal and when you apply the rust agent if it is there it will rust also possibly leaving a line.

There was no color change between coats 5 & 7 so based on that I decided to go ahead and oil the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
After I finished my last post UPS delivered my stock. So I have been doig some calculating with an old meat scale. In swapping from the wood to a synthetic stock I shaved off 5oz. Swapping scopes, 7 oz. And the cut off piece of barrel was 6oz. For a total of 18 oz, or 1 pound 2 ounces however you want to look at it. I know that is not alot but is a start considerig advertised new 7600's average weight is 7.5 pounds. After reassemble I will weigh the complete rifle with and without ammo. I am hoping for just under 7 pounds.

The stock I ordered was a Ram Line. I never been super impressed in their products but when they are just about your only choice for a 760 you are kinda stuck. BUT, they impressed me today. The butt stock is actually designed so the shooter can shorten it by almost an inch. The recoil pad is slighty undersized when screwed to the butt stock. The plastic tabs required to screw the rubber recoil pad into run the length of the stock. So I measured the stock deminsions with a caliper and can shave about an inch if I desire.

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 17
That oiled metal looks fine. The action and barrel should come along very nicely with the heat and humidity lately. Give the bore a good cleaning with bronze brush when done. There will be a bit of gunk in there but once scrubbed it'll be as spiffy as it was when ya started. 4 to 6 days and a sight in I predict. Good patience. Stick with it. Temptation will be to call the action good enough as soon as the first even black comes up, but press on with pride and get it right. Don't rush assembly, let it rest in oil a day then assemble slow and easy and then go out sight it and start smackin down steel and deer!!!!

Sharps my plan is to give 7 treatments just as the other parts. With an a stage of 24 hours of rust time in between boilings as I did with the other parts. So with my schedule the last boil should be next Tuesday. And assembly wednesday night. Hopefully shoot over next weekend!! Thanks for the help so far!!!

Well, thats good timeing. I'll be back to a computer Wed evening....crackberry typically indicates this site is too big to load and then checks right out. Sure wish it had a mobile aplication.

Coming along nicely. The weight difference is significant but the manuverability is also going to be huge. I think you're gonna like it a lot more than you think. :)

Back
Top Bottom