• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 Remington Pump Completed

Shoot the buttstock full of expandable urethane foam if ya want a less hollow sound. Dosn't add much weight. Make sure ya really cover the outside good with tape and plastic wrap its real sticky stuff. Carve it off flush with the butt when dry and reinstall buttpad.

Alright here is rust, boiled, and carded for the third time color is coming along nicely except for one place. The "LUG" It is rusting and coming out rusty lol. And after carding looks like a dity stainless steel. I included a pic of another unaltered rifle. If you at the reciever and notice the purplish lug this is the area I am talking about. I read where and saw pictures where a guy rust blued an AK and some of the parts hr had to us some sort of black dye and linseed oil and bake in the oven for a bit. I will be doing some studying on that. Thanks for encouraging words so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 19
Boiling on the stove for 20 minutes in a steel tool box lol. I bought two different carding brushes from brownells. I use them first to knock off the heavy stuff. I then follow up with degreased and boil steel wool. Then a wipe down with a paper towel to get any steel wool or left over oxide off.

If the barrel lug won't blue easily, at your normal rust/boil intervals, try light coats of pilkington on the lug about every 4 to 6 hours but continue boiling only once per day. Its prolly much like a Win 94 receiver, very slow to rust alloy steel and needs some special encouragement.

Looks darn fine by the way. Wish it were mine!

So here are my before boil, after boil, and after carding photos. The heavy lug you can see is really rusty. I came home twice today and applied more pilkingtons to that area. After the boil it was still rusty as hell. But after carding it is pretty even in tone with the barrel now. Thanks for the tip Sharps!! Overall all parts are even in color and no streaking that I have found yet.And as far as the lug if it is that rusty tomorrow I might let it boil for awhile longer untill it is black all over.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sll the red oxide. After the biol means the chemical bit the steel well. Don't worry if is red after. The hard black is under the red fluff. You can continue the lug with single or multiple coats of pilk betewwn boils. Great work. Looking very fine. With the black ramline you will have one seriously sexy carbine. You realize on completion there will be 2 issues. You won't want any other finish and you'll prolly be blueing buddies guns. Great work my friend.

Back
Top Bottom