• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 Remington Pump Completed

Progress report is one carding today. with the rain and cool weather I was unable to yesterday but no biggie. After all the rain yesterday when the heat came so did the rust. I picked up the rifle today from the gunsmith. He drilled and tapped the front sight base, found me a rear sight and elevator, and crowned the barrel. And for a really good price!!!!!So here are the pics. And last picture is a rough idea of what the rifle will look assembled with the wood stock. Plan is to still find a synthetic and drop some weight. The scope I picked up from :mrlinebacker. Met with him this morning, very nice guy to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 22
Will be posting some pics after while of carding # 5. Order my synthetic stock today. Agenda more tomorrow is to blast the receiver and barrel and all remaining parts. Then start on those!

Ok so here are the parts after carding #5. I forgot to take them before I reapplied the Pilkingtons. The pictures are of poor quality tonight, I guess to due being in garage. The metal is starting to transition from greyish to black. Going smoothly and averaging one carding a day. I have had to go back on two occasions and reapply the Pilkingtons. It has been rainy and cool here the past couple of days, so the humidity has been down. But it is up tonight out there!!!

The parts you are looking at are the large nut that holds the forearm onto the action bar. Two pics of the barrel band. and two pics of the action bar assembly.

Again sorry for the cruddy pics.

I am also trying to change the heading with the date so you wont have to check back daily for those that want to follow along. I figure another 10 days once I start on the other parts tomorrow. As stated it is a slow process. But one I am enjoying!!

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
From the pics it looks very much like the hard part is over, the initial bloom is established and it grew in place without spot or streak. Very nicely done. The true black will be when the oil or grease hits the metal...pilkingtons is blacker than grey but you still see a hint of grey in the finish when the metal is dry. Serves nicely as an "Oil Me" alarm clock...if it looks a bit grey its time for some tender lovin oil. Nicely done, I can't wait to shoot it in and take it hunting! :)

Her is a picture of comparison between parts boiled 5 times and one application of pilkingtons. And also a pic of the reciever and barrel before first boil.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom