• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 Remington Pump Completed

I have your next project a Remington Gamemaster 760 carbine pump in 30-06 with Redfield scope for sale, LOL

When I was saying that I was actually referring to scope lol. My wife wants to go the guns show tomorrow so maybe I will take it and some other odd n ends and look for a synthetic for the 760

So here are the pics of the rust and after the first boil. I would have took some pics after I carded the metal but my garage was kind of dark. I am really pleased with the results and Iam REALLY enjoying the process. It is time consuming and I believe this is one reason I am enjoying it so much. You can figure I have three hours in metal prep to where I am now. Which is prep, first boil, carding and applied third coat of Pilkingtons.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 15
Fine progress. Looks like the first coat took evenly. Very thin almost dry coats now and you'll build that finish up lovely.

This morning woke up to some nice colors and did the second boil and carding. I took some pics after the carding so you can the color. and but least, as my wife put this morning"The most redneck thing she has ever seen in her life!", the tool box on the stove lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 13
It may be redneck but wait'll ya taste that Remington Carbine Soup. Looking fine. Yer wife will have big eyes and wanna shoot it when she sees the greese hit the carded black steel along about coat 5 to 10. My guess is with humidity you are going to have a very fine finish at about the 7 to 9th boil and carding. Its nice and even. Now it will start to richen up and move from more grey to a deep grey black. Very good job. I'm impressed.

If it seems to be biting slow, and sometimes different alloys are very slow, give the steel a 12 to 24 hour sit in humidity between boilings. Sometimes I very lightly kiss the rusted steel with pilkingtons at 8 to 12 hour intervals and boil the steel every second or third rust bloom. But it seems your process is working and ya gotta love a hot damp space in the house for a rust box.

Once you get it done, might be nice to show yer front sight smith, betcha he smiles bout that ol school effort.

Last edited:
Sharps when you reffer to boiling after every second or third rust bloom are carding away the bloom or leaving it?

Last edited:
Awesome news. My gunsmith has finished and I can go buy tomorrow and pick up the rifle.

Sharps, since I have only done the 2nd carding would there be a problem if I was to hold off and bring the receiver up to speed and finish all at once. Just curious no biggie if not.

Thanks

Shorthand-blackberry

Sorry f/confusion

Best follow pilkingtons instruction on yer 1st job. Experiments are for scrap steel befor trying a gun. Take yer time. Do at least 7 rust/boil/card cycles on all parts.

Suggest do barrel and action separate. More weork but less to keep track of all at one time.

Suggest suspending parts on coat hangers to eliminate contact w/ tank wherever convenient. Helps prevent spots/streaks

Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom