• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's the last thing you built?

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I'm in a building mood and I'm looking for ideas for my next project so lets have a "what have you built?" pic thread..

here's mine, put it together with scraps left over from a job we did..not bad for free and mix matched materials

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_11_25_umutavuz.jpg

Won't be any time soon but one day I want to build one of these, a 1917 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Should take a few years and ~$40,000 but it can be done!

attachment.php

I built a small helicopter toy for my granddaughter, but after seeing what you did, I don't think I will show it....

But I do like the swings and think I will build one for spring. Nice.

wow now that's ambitious!

Yeah but with decent craftsmanship and basic hand tools it is very possible. Most of it can be constructed from ash and oak. Covering it with the canvas may be a little tricky but there is a huge network of builders out there in the aviation community. The Strutter is a fairly docile airplane to fly and it was one of the sturdier airplanes of WW1. Keep in mind that back then the life expectancy of a pilot on the Western Front was about 9 days. Some of them were shot down but the majority of them were killed in accidents. There are a lot of neat airplanes from that time period that I would never feel safe flying, even if they were made with today's materials and technology.

And of course I'd have to power it with a period correct Le Rhone rotary engine. The rotary engine is unique in that the crankshaft is bolted directly to the firewall and the entire engine block and cylinders spin around with the propeller. If you have ever heard one run, it is a sound of nostalgia that you will never forget!

attachment.php

I built a bird house at Rock Eagle 4H camp. Last thing I have built, and will probably be the last thing I will build.

Back
Top Bottom