• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's a good fish when you don't like fish?

Cod or Halibut. Both are tasty white meat. Ocean striper is also very good.

I did a project in Connecticut a few weeks ago. This ocean run striper was caught that morning. This did not taste fishy at all and was delicious.
20210820_161421.jpg

Stay away from Talapia, it's not a real fish, it does not exist in the wild. It's genetically engineered. For a very light fish, eat whiting. It's a salt water fish and very very fair. Swordfish is full of toxins due to its diet and should be avoided like the plague. If you can get one, redfish blackened is very good. Tuna that is prepared correct is not fishy, just like salmon. The snapped family can be hit or miss as it's a reef fish and can take on a lot of fat and be greasy based on its age.

Now, with some practice, you can cut the fishy taste out of any fish by soaking it in a water/vinegar mix for a few minutes before you cook it. Also, if it's fresh, make sure you cut out the bloodline, it will easily overpower what you cook.

Easy recipe for most of them: olive oil, garlic powder, lemon, salt and pepper either baked or grilled.

Hope this helps.

I like putting swai on the griddle using melted butter with some butt rub seasoning
One of the few I turn down. Its a mental thing I know. I knew to many vets who told me how nasty the Mekong river was. When it was first imported it was generally thought to be all from there. Heck they may even farm raise it now.

Tuna in a can.

Tilapia is the chicken of the sea. It's one of the fish they make imitation crab meat out of. It is the flavor of what you cook it with.

Have you considered other healthier meats? I don't like fish either. I eat almost no red meat now because of my cholesterol. We use ground turkey in a lot of our meals. It's a little different in flavor, but I prefer it over ground beef now. But a good fatty hamburger is order every now and then.
Tilapia is fresh water farm raised crap .. Very far from chicken of the sea .

Stay away from Talapia, it's not a real fish, it does not exist in the wild. It's genetically engineered. For a very light fish, eat whiting. It's a salt water fish and very very fair. Swordfish is full of toxins due to its diet and should be avoided like the plague. If you can get one, redfish blackened is very good. Tuna that is prepared correct is not fishy, just like salmon. The snapped family can be hit or miss as it's a reef fish and can take on a lot of fat and be greasy based on its age.

Now, with some practice, you can cut the fishy taste out of any fish by soaking it in a water/vinegar mix for a few minutes before you cook it. Also, if it's fresh, make sure you cut out the bloodline, it will easily overpower what you cook.

Easy recipe for most of them: olive oil, garlic powder, lemon, salt and pepper either baked or grilled.

Hope this helps.
This is the best advice yet

Two obvious choices come to mind, because they are very mildly flavored as fish go: tilapia and cod. Both have very little fishy taste and pretty good texture. Cod in particular tastes much like whatever you are going to do to prepare it. Here's a recipe that I have yet to have anyone dislike, and I can promise you that it will not taste like fish at all. I have made this at least a dozen times, and I will even go out to Kroger, which is less convenient for me than Publix, just to get cod, which they regularly carry.

Tips: 1) Do not go cheap on the wine (i.e. someting you will finish drinking with the meal) - pinot grigio is a good choice, 20 Basil paste or even dried basil (use about 1/2 as much as fresh) is fine, 3) Start the sauce (everything already slices and portioned) when you sear the fish to allow time for it to reduce, 4) Garlic paste or minced garlic in the jar work just fine.

https://bakerbynature.com/pan-seared-cod-in-white-wine-tomato-basil-sauce/

Back
Top Bottom