• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under appreciated and often overlooked prep items:

I buy and store lighters. Get them at the dollar store for cheap or even Amazon. I have about 200. Lightweight, easy to pack, and a very tradable commodity. Most people can't make fire with sticks. I prep other things. But I think a simple bic lighter would be a great thing to have or trade. Just an opinion. Some things I prep I would never trade. I can make fire many different ways, so trading off lighters would be no big deal for me

Kind of stupid but lots of heavy duty trash bags and plastic bags you get at grocery store. Those grocery bags are extremely compact and strong enough to haul stuff in. Plus if the water isn't running they make a dandy pre plastic bag ban san francisco porta potty.

My father always saved meat grease. He said a tablespoon would give you all the daily calories you need. (Fat, Protein). Also dropping some in hot water is allllllmost like ramen.

I save my bacon grease. You can can bacon at home as well. Lard is shelf stable for 2 years and a great way to add a calorie boost to simple meals. Your body can and does burn fats for energy as well as carbs. Fats get kind of an unfair bad rep when it comes to diet but its important not to overlook them. I vacuum seal tablespoon or so of lard to add to meals on hiking trips.

I save my bacon grease. You can can bacon at home as well. Lard is shelf stable for 2 years and a great way to add a calorie boost to simple meals. Your body can and does burn fats for energy as well as carbs. Fats get kind of an unfair bad rep when it comes to diet but its important not to overlook them. I vacuum seal tablespoon or so of lard to add to meals on hiking trips.
Fats are incredibly important as human cells have a literal membrane of three fat molecules. Also; fat is no problem if you use it. Unfortunately we in the modern day stockpiles ours.

You ever watch naked and afraid? Every time I saw a muscle man or body type strong man I would tell my brother he not gonna make it. I was correct every time, they have no fat and they failed miserably because they were not getting calories to burn.

Certain fats are in fact, very good. Saturated fat is not good for the arteries, but the majority of fats are OK, many are excellent, and as Jblue already stated, they are essential in a shtf type diet, where we are scrounging for calories.

We need a modern minute man load out thread. A good 3 day load out.

Back
Top Bottom