• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Purposed Ammo Ban?

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
On July 30th, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) and U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) introduced legislation that would impose sweeping new--and not so new--restrictions on ammunition sales.

The bills, S. 3458 and H.R. 6241, are known as the “Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act.” The bill itself has four elements: (1) A federal licensing requirement for ammunition sellers; (2) Recordkeeping on all ammunition sales; (3) Reporting of all sales of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to anyone without a federal firearms license within five consecutive business days; and (4) A photo identification requirement for all non-licensees buying ammunition, “effectively banning the online or mail order purchase of ammo by regular civilians.”

The two lawmakers’ contempt for “regular civilians” is nothing new, and neither are the first two of the requirements they propose. Starting in 1968, ammunition dealers had to have licenses from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and also had to keep records of purchasers. The recordkeeping requirement on .22 caliber rimfire ammunition was so burdensome that it was repealed in 1982. Congress did away with the remaining licensing and recordkeeping provisions as part of the "Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986" after the BATF itself said the restrictions had “no substantial law enforcement value.”

Can't the photo id requirement for ammo can be overcome by faxing or digital pic of driver’s license or valid photo id sent in electronically with credit card information. I'm not saying it would pass as I and anyone who cares about our freedom should be contacting our representatives and voicing our opinion.

Some websites require you to fax a copy of your drivers license! I know aim surplus does. Once you fax it, they keep it on file. I don't mind that part. What I do mind is banning the online sale of it to "regular civilians". Wtf does that mean? Your going to dick me again like you have charging me 75 bucks every 5 years for something I'm suppose to get for free under the 2nd amendment? It's all scare tactic bs. I can do just as much damage with 999 rounds of ak ammo as I can with 1,000 rounds. Where I bought that ammo is really irrelevant!

If you think regurgitating terms and phrases drafted by anti gun rights groups is harmless ie. hi cap mags, assault weapons, etc just take a look at how effective they are at giving these bs bills traction. We need to be very mindful of the terminology we use when engaging in conversation with people about guns, both online and in person.

Take for example the craftiness of using "regular citizen". Much of the commentary you read online by anti gun rights or fence sitting folks will revolve around "regular citizens", not needing to own assault weapons. That wasn't a coincidence or mistake, it echo's the false assupmtion that people tend to make about gun ownership, and tailors it to fit how they will find the bill acceptable. It's marketing genius, and we don't need to advance their cause.

Cut out "hi cap", "assault weapon", etc. Please.

Last edited:
I find it crazy that the states with the most stricken guns laws also have the highest crime rates.....
Hmmm an armed society is a polite society. I don't know about you but I believe in that whole heartedly.

If you think regurgitating terms and phrases drafted by anti gun rights groups is harmless ie. hi cap mags, assault weapons, etc just take a look at how effective they are at giving these bs bills traction. We need to be very mindful of the terminology we use when engaging in conversation with people about guns, both online and in person.Take for example the craftiness of using "regular citizen". Much of the commentary you read online by anti gun rights or fen sitting folks will revolve around "regular citizens", not needing to own assault weapons. That wasn't a coincidence or mistake, it echo's the false assupmtion that people tend to make about gun ownership, and tailors it to fit how they will find the bill acceptable. It's marketing genius, and we don't need to advance their cause.Cut out "hi cap", "assault weapon", etc. Please.
Truth!

Are these government people retarded? How is that going to stop what just happened? Duh!

It isn't going to stop someone who has a clean record to go out and buy whatever he needs to go "insane" and kill everyone.

Are these government people retarded? How is that going to stop what just happened? Duh!

Which government people? US Congress people? Senators? Anyway, they are far from stupid. They care more about re-election and pleasing their individual contituent bases than about reality though. This is their job, and if keeping their job means pandering to their uninformed voting base then that's what they'll do to stay employed. They are using terminology that evokes emotion in voters and helps them to forget about the reality of the ineffectiveness of what is actually being proposed. It is an incredibly smart way to tackle an issue where you can't win with logic or common sense...use fear. And it works. The lesson: Don't feed the fear with repeating Anti Gun propoganda.

Last edited:
New Jersey and NewYork, what do you expect from those liberal duchebags.

Well don't lump them all into the same group. There are good people in both states fighting the good fight. I used to work in a gun shop in West Trenton NJ. The folks that jumped through all of the legal hoops to hunt and legally own guns had to be the most hardcore firearms enthusiasts and hunters I have ever met, bar none. You wouldn't believe what these people go through to exercise their "rights".

Back
Top Bottom