• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Students at Tech want to be armed! Poll at WSB Radio

Why should someone who's a grown ass adult be required to know how to drive and be licensed to operate a vehicle ? You may be an adult but I'm guessing 95% of the students there are fresh out of highschool KIDS, not to mention the 20% hoodrat mentality that'd fall right in with carrying a gun also.

Smoking in parks has other consequences apart from health concerns (which I think are minimized in an outdoor environment), such as litter. Not to be offensive, but people who smoke around young kids have little courtesy in doing so and that probably means they aren't likely to go out of their way to find a smoking receptacle to put out their butt. Next thing you know the park is filled with butts all over. Don't believe me? Next time you pull off an exit, look out the window if you're at the red light and see how smokers' courtesy adds up. But I digress.

How about this? Campuses are filled with students, all of which should have the right to defend themselves, and also have the right to a safe environment without fear of an idiot with a gun that does not know when to give up his ipod vs starting a shootout. So, if you want to carry on campus, how about you go through a training or mandatory "briefing" - not gun training - but a.)carry laws and b.)situational awareness and handling. It would be simple and only required for students carrying on campus. My only concern with students carrying is the safety of bystanders when a gung-ho 21 year-old opts to empty a magazine instead of the contents of his backpack. That might be fine at night with no one else around, but that's not always the case. I'm not saying all 21 year olds are idiots, they're not, but think about all the "mall ninjas" you know of in real life or online - many of them went to college too. Just a thought.

Smoking in parks has other consequences apart from health concerns (which I think are minimized in an outdoor environment), such as litter. Not to be offensive, but people who smoke around young kids have little courtesy in doing so and that probably means they aren't likely to go out of their way to find a smoking receptacle to put out their butt. Next thing you know the park is filled with butts all over. Don't believe me? Next time you pull off an exit, look out the window if you're at the red light and see how smokers' courtesy adds up. But I digress.

You're totally correct on this. Somone in my friggin neighborhood smokes and their damn butts are seemingly always in front of my driveway, drives me crazy. It also pisses me off seeing them throwing their butts out their window on the roads.

How about this? Campuses are filled with students, all of which should have the right to defend themselves, and also have the right to a safe environment without fear of an idiot with a gun that does not know when to give up his ipod vs starting a shootout. So, if you want to carry on campus, how about you go through a training or mandatory "briefing" - not gun training - but a.)carry laws and b.)situational awareness and handling. It would be simple and only required for students carrying on campus. My only concern with students carrying is the safety of bystanders when a gung-ho 21 year-old opts to empty a magazine instead of the contents of his backpack. That might be fine at night with no one else around, but that's not always the case. I'm not saying all 21 year olds are idiots, they're not, but think about all the "mall ninjas" you know of in real life or online - many of them went to college too. Just a thought.

Common sense for the win!

Off topic here but I heard after they banned smoking in Roswell Parks their comission was asked if they had actually received any complaints about smoking in parks and they admitted that no, they had not received one complaint. So it seems the gov't took it upon themselves to deem smoking in parks unacceptable per their ideals.

its for the kids, THINK OF THE CHILDREN (even though jogging outside anywhere in or near the i285 perimeter on a smog alert day is like smoking two packs but never mind that)

why not treat an adult who has a carry permit like an adult?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe only veteran, law enforcement and properly trained staff should be allowed to carry on a campus.

why? because they are somehow more responsible?

"Adult" is just a legal term. Wisdom does not always come with age, sometimes age just arrives all by itself.
so legally why shouldnt they be allowed to do anything an adult is legally allowed to do. if you wanted to base everything off the premise that people need approval to judge their mental stability and maturity, then i know plenty of folks who need their tubes tied

so legally why shouldnt they be allowed to do anything an adult is legally allowed to do. if you wanted to base everything off the premise that people need approval to judge their mental stability and maturity, then i know plenty of folks who need their tubes tied

So one person's legal right trumps another's right to not be put in unnecessary danger? I know what you're trying to say but comparing spitting out lead to spitting out babies is a stretch. Not the same type of consequence.

Back
Top Bottom