• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Students at Tech want to be armed! Poll at WSB Radio

Requiring training puts power in someones hands. Any time power over another is in ones hands, there is the possiblity, oppurtunity for corruption.

Who could orchestrate and properly administer training without arbitrary decisions of who is not sufficiently trained, capable of being trained, etc? This type of responsibility would fall on government, and once government has power, it seeks more.

I recently read this and feel hat it applies on this topic as well.

"There are four levels of government- Federal, State, local, and self. When the fourth level is weak, the other three become stronger".

The answer to me is self government, as a society, and outside of gov't, we should understand that with great freedom comes great responsibility. We should accept the responsibility that comes with the freedom to self protection, and realize the obligation to become proficient with our means of protection. It should be gov't mandated, but self mandated.

for the same reason that same grown ass adult needs to be trained to operate a motor vehicle. this context has obviously inherited the BOS and/or the 9mm vs. .45 demeanor.

:tape2: i rest my case.
no it hasnt, because the BOS and the 9 versus 45 is a difference of opinions

all other opinions be damned when it comes to my rights (and driving isnt constitutionally protected)

Unnecessary danger is self-explanatory in this case. I have never seen nor heard it used as a "buzzword" (probably because it's two words lol). Anyhow, I'm assuming you've handled a gun before. But have you ever shot at someone? You ever had a gun shoved in your ribs while being robbed? The skill it takes to handle that type of situation properly is hard to train for and takes skill far, far beyond that of simply carrying a firearm.

All I'm saying is have some respect and consideration for people who could potentially fall victim to your self-defense. You're right, I can't quantify that danger, but it only takes one bystander getting killed, which could be your broter or sister or relative, to change your stance on the matter.

You're also assuming that guns on campus will deter crime. If that's the case, then why do banks and armored cars still get robbed?

ive personally pulled a gun on two people in my life, and it stopped the altercation. there was no skill involved, simply pulling my pistol out and telling them to **** off sufficed. if you got a gun in your ribs already then the SOB already has you dead to rights, their usually aint anything you can do about it

i have been in the area while a shootout between two homeboys took place, and neither of them im sure were suppose to have a gun, requiring training doesnt keep those who shouldnt carry a gun from doing so.

there ya go again using phrases such as "could potentially".........really? what amount of danger do i put someone else in by carrying a gun every day? can you qualify this with a specific amount? if you cant then your argument is just as sound as some of these global warming nuts discussing the dangers of what could or could not be without any concrete proof or causation of their outlandish claims (not quite as bad, but you put everything in the condititonal, which i find to be a really bad argument as to why a citizens rights should be encroached upon)

i never said guns on campus would deter crime, i cant make that ASSumption

i specifically said in relation to that point

how many crimes would this stop? these are questions that cant really be answered, and since neither can be answered then the only rational explanation is to permit those who already abide by state law to carry where they previously couldnt.

by the way, the only reason i am as passionate about this issue as i am is because at 21 i was attending GA state which is alot like the tech campus in terms of crime. i was lucky enough (i dont know if some would call it lucky) to grow up in the urban environment of atlanta. i would say im more "street smart" than others, but really its common sense. i really, really want to carry a gun when i have to leave from the aderhold building downtown at GA state campus and walk several blocks back to the lone truck parked in the lot at 10:10 at night....im 24 now, and i dont need training, cause the only person who would get hurt from me carrying a gun is the silly bastard who tries to rob me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom