• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Safe Dehumidifiers..

Another option is put the safe in a small closet. Like a coat closet. Put a small dehumidifier in the closet with the safe. If the closet has a low humidity level, the inside of the safe will too.

A $36 Golden Rod is simply a 20-watt heater, nothing more and nothing less.. and what’s the warrantee?

A $9 light fixture with a 20-watt incandescent lightbulb is also a 20-watt heater with the added benefit of light, even welders use this method to keep their welding-rod cabinets dehumidified :thumb:

I have a 20 watt stoplight in my shed for this reason

So, how does adding heat from any source reduce humidity? I understand that by using a low heat source and providing ventilation may circulate air, but if that incoming air is humid it seems that the heat would just make it worse. As I recall from HS physics, isn’t cold air drier?
Ive been using a golden rod, but always had safe in climate controlled room. Future may not be so.

So, how does adding heat from any source reduce humidity? I understand that by using a low heat source and providing ventilation may circulate air, but if that incoming air is humid it seems that the heat would just make it worse. As I recall from HS physics, isn’t cold air drier?
Ive been using a golden rod, but always had safe in climate controlled room. Future may not be so.
Air expands as it warms, it pushes the air “out” of the safe seams, pushing the humidity out with it.

“The Golden Rod Dehumidifier works by slightly increasing the air temperature inside the gun safe or other enclosure. This allows the warm air to circulate throughout the safe on a continual basis, thus eliminating humidity, mildew, and condensation.”

thanks, not sure i buy that though. I measured my safe temp just above the rod, and on the top shelf. Minor, like 0.25 degree difference. I guess that is a thermal gradient, but it still seems to me that its still just circulating the outside-safe air into and possibly up through the safe. Don't see this doing much to reduce humidity inside the safe, particularly if the outside-safe air is damp. I guess the real test would be to measure humidity directly.

I use golden rod in a 72.5″ x 42″ x 30.5″ safe.

Top box is inside the safe 64deg 42% humidity
Bottom box is garage climate.

They do work.

image.jpg

I have goldenrods in all of my safes. I actually have to turn them off from time to time. The humidity will get dangerously low. That can crack wood stocks if you're not careful. I think around mid 40's is ideal IIRC.

Been using one for years, but just unsure if and how they work.

Thanks guys, but you should know that most all electronic hygrometers are inherently inaccurate. I've compared several to a real lab quality hygrometer and they all fail badly. If it cost less than $500, it's not much more than a ball park hygrometer. I've used my real one ( used to be gov env sci type) at the bottom and top, with and without rod, but always in a climate controlled area, and don't measure much effect.
The real test would be to place empty safe 42% humidity will definitely dry out untreated wood.

Back
Top Bottom