• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig Carry? Safe or Dangerous?

There is a possible issue with the SIG P320 that goes beyond the "drop issue".

There are videos of LE officers where their issued P320 has discharged while in their holster. I've seen more than one video; officer's hand is not on the gun, no one is touching it, and it appears to be strapped into their duty holster.

The unofficial reports that I have read on a few of the incidents have stated that the pistols were issued and stock, and the holsters were not modified. Since these are not any sort of laboratory, official investigatory reports, I'll take it with a grain of salt.
-was the gun modified, or ill-maintained?
-was the holster modified, or ill-maintained?
-was there an obstruction in the officers' holster

It's enough to give me pause, but not enough info to state unequivocally what the issue is. There are currently a few agencies suing SIG over it, and I'm waiting for the information that will come out of these lawsuits.

I do find it funny that we are not hearing or seeing these same issues coming from Glock, Smith & Wesson, etc. If it were an issue of modified / ill-maintained / obstructed holsters, for instance, why is it only happening to SIG's? More cops use Glocks than use SIG's.
Not here’s a genuinely great response

This is a good sentiment, but actually impossible to do with a carry gun.

Right now, I'm sitting at my desk. I'm wearing a G19 in a strongside OWB holster. My right leg is tucked back under my chair. If my G19 were to discharge right now, it would strike me somewhere in the right calf / ankle / foot.

I bend over at WalMart while wearing the same rig. Using the "Laser Rule", what did the laser touch?

When I was an Air Marshal, and wearing a similar rig in the confines of an aircraft, I was constantly "lasering" passengers. Whoever sat behind me has their feet underneath my seat. When I walked up and down the aisles, I was lasering every single part of folks' bodies, from their head to their feet.

Ever walk in a gun store? Dozens, in not hundreds, of firearms that you have not personally checked and cleared are pointing all over the store.
I appreciate this response. It seems a lot of people commenting their safety opinions ( which I do appreciate their time of day) are assuming that I’m not well versed with how to carry a firearm. The firearm like you said is always pointing at something we are NOT intending to cause harm.

This is a good sentiment, but actually impossible to do with a carry gun.

Right now, I'm sitting at my desk. I'm wearing a G19 in a strongside OWB holster. My right leg is tucked back under my chair. If my G19 were to discharge right now, it would strike me somewhere in the right calf / ankle / foot.

I bend over at WalMart while wearing the same rig. Using the "Laser Rule", what did the laser touch?

When I was an Air Marshal, and wearing a similar rig in the confines of an aircraft, I was constantly "lasering" passengers. Whoever sat behind me has their feet underneath my seat. When I walked up and down the aisles, I was lasering every single part of folks' bodies, from their head to their feet.

Ever walk in a gun store? Dozens, in not hundreds, of firearms that you have not personally checked and cleared are pointing all over the store.
I actually agree with this, but to constantly have a weapon aimed at your junk by plan? Nope, I'll pass. To many better options.

I actually agree with this, but to constantly have a weapon aimed at your junk by plan? Nope, I'll pass. To many better options.

I wear AIWB a lot in warmer months, and my weapon is not pointed at my junk, as I wear it slightly right of center. My femoral artery, on the other hand.............

As to the op, I don’t like the 320 enough to try convincing myself that it’ll be ok.

As has been said, there’s many other guns I like more that lack the scary track record.

As to how and where you carry, anyone not confident enough to carry, handle and use their weapon probably doesn’t need to worry about where or how they carry it yet.

I always appreciated this quote by John Farnam:

"There is not truly a way to handle guns 'safely'. Guns are, by nature, meant to be dangerous. That's why they're such great tools in the field we find them in. We can however, handle guns carefully, and deliberately. And if we do so, we can go about our lives with no quantifiable problems."

Back
Top Bottom