• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig Carry? Safe or Dangerous?

I have a love/hate with Sig. I trust the 320’s, even carry appendix. Sig has great lawyers and from what I’ve heard there’s a few NDA’s out there. Haven’t been able to create it in a courtroom is Sig’s stand. 320’s have a greater chance of something interfering with the trigger due to the fact they don’t have a “trigger blade safety”.

I’m pretty sure CZ’s have a great chance of firing, while in DA, and striking the back of the hammer.

Sorry man. I don't know what case you're talking about. Is it the police cam video of the cops wrestling with the guy when a P320's AD's? My 1st comment was just to the guy worried about his his P320 just going off. I did't see the videos before posting that. I'm just glancing through comments here. I have seen the video analysis of that. There's more than one P320 AD caught on camera. I incorrectly got that one confused with another video of a female officer carrying a duffel bag to her patrol car when her pistol AD's. In the body cam video you actually see the officer smack the gun that's about to fall out of the holster with his elbow. There is several of these videos, and it's not just P320's. In every video I've seen people were doing things that could snag the trigger of an unsecured half holstered gun. No one is just sitting there completely idle. No one is ever able to replicate the discharge. Now drop safe is a different story. The P320 had an issue and fixed it. I believe that incident opened Sig up to all this blame for "going off" out of the blue, and everyone that has an AD with the P320 is going to cash in. Sig is likely just going to settle and pay everything hoping this goes away. I'll never consider that proof the gun just goes off. It's never anyone just sitting idle caught on camera, and the gun that just goes off never does it again. Perhaps I'm wrong. Tomorrow one of these AD guns may be proven to go off if it's loaded with just a mild bump, but I doubt it. Especially when you see who's funding all these lawsuits against Sig. It's a bunch of anti-gun groups, so now I feel the need to defend a gun I've owned and didn't even like. You really think Sig P320's just AD all on their own or at the slightest bump? It's some kind of super secret un-diagnosable issue? You think Sig flooded the civilian market and the military with a bunch of unsafe pistols?

I have made reference to one incident that I am particularly familiar with. The information that I read shows no modifications to the P320, nor to the department-issued Safariland holster. The firearm and holster were in proper working order. P320 discharged while properly strapped in the holster, without any external stimulus.

There is more information, but the lawsuit is currently in arbitration, and that’s all I’m comfortable giving out at this time. I can say that in this particular incident, much of what you claim is refuted.

There are far more incidents than the ones that made the rounds due to shared videos.

Not everyone shares videos of crap that happens.

Not all incidents have associated videos.

Some incidents are under legal gag orders, which prevent videos and other info from being shared.

I have made reference to one incident that I am particularly familiar with. The information that I read shows no modifications to the P320, nor to the department-issued Safariland holster. The firearm and holster were in proper working order. P320 discharged while properly strapped in the holster, without any external stimulus.

There is more information, but the lawsuit is currently in arbitration, and that’s all I’m comfortable giving out at this time. I can say that in this particular incident, much of what you claim is refuted.

There are far more incidents than the ones that made the rounds due to shared videos.

Not everyone shares videos of crap that happens.

Not all incidents have associated videos.

Some incidents are under legal gag orders, which prevent videos and other info from being shared.
Do you really expect that they would admit to any modification?

To your points, you know that applies to all manufacturers.

Do you really expect that they would admit to any modification?

To your points, you know that applies to all manufacturers.

In at least one case that I am familiar with, the official documents state that, upon examination and inspection, no modifications were found to the holster or firearm.

In at least one case that I am familiar with, the official documents state that, upon examination and inspection, no modifications were found to the holster or firearm.
Operative word is “Official”

I get it, really I do. I just believe some manufacturers hide stuff better than others. Sure seems like the Glock ADs/NDs reports just disappeared.
But they were a thing at one time.

Operative word is “Official”

I get it, really I do. I just believe some manufacturers hide stuff better than others. Sure seems like the Glock ADs/NDs reports just disappeared.
But they were a thing at one time.

“Official”, as in inspections conducted by an independent research company, with no dog in the fight, or links to either side of the case.

The drop-safe issue these guns had was an actual design flaw. It was easy to reproduce using a certain protocol and the fact that SIG was so quick with an 'update' once it was documented pretty much proved that.

This 'just going off' thing is different. There doesn't seem to be any consistent way to trigger it like with the drop testing, and it only seems to be affecting a very small number of users.

It almost seems like a small design issue coupled with a few slightly out of spec guns (or in-spec, but on one side of a tolerance band) that a very specific but unknown set of circumstances can 'trigger'.

I've spent my adult life troubleshooting issues in hardware and software, and I can tell you that intermittent errors are the hardest to fix, at least until you can get them to happen on a regular basis. Then the fix is usually trivial.

Back
Top Bottom