• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Navy Officer Who Fired on Islamist During Chattanooga Terror Attack Will Be Charged

I know this is going to get a lot of people upset, but;

When I was in Strategic Air Command, one of the guys on my flight couldn't make it into work on time because his wife was in labor.
He called his Squad Leader and let him know. Squad leader told him to come in as soon as it was feasible.
The next day, the Sgt. shows up for work passing out cigars. Guard-mount ensues.
After Guard-mount, the new father is taken into a room with the Squad Leader who then issues a Letter of Reprimand (LOR) to the Sgt. .
While it was recognized that he was a new father and that was a great thing, the Sgt. had failed to arrive for duty on time. It was explained that he and his wife should have made arrangements for this contingency.
Not showing up for duty isn't an option unless you are physically incapacitated.

This officer brought a personal weapon to work. Against orders and in violation of the law. He accepted these risks when he did so.

If Allen West is correct about what's happening, I doubt there's going to be "charges" and a Courts Martial. There will almost certainly be a LOR placed in this officers folder. That will in effect end his career.
He will have the option of demanding a CM instead of accepting the LOR but if he loses, he will end up as a Felon and at the least, a "Less than Honorable Discharge".

This isn't Obama. This is the Military. I doubt Obama will give two ****s about this officer, but the Commander of the Naval Recruiting Command will have to. Rules and Regulations must be followed and officers are expected to set the example for the people under their command. If you don't enforce the rules, regs and laws, your organizational discipline begins to falter.

Bulls***. Blindly following illogical, unconstitutional regulations is not commendable but stupid. If every commander chose to blindly follow "the rules" that you seem to worship then we would all be in deep sh**. Any commander worth his salt would not only come out in defense of this soldier but put his OWN job on the line to defend him…"something like - If you prosecute him I quit, and i encourage all other brave soldiers to do the same." This soldier saved lives while defending them against a terrorist assho**.
He showed tremendous bravery under fire. To punish him for a bull****, probably unconstitutional regulation in this situation is not good leadership and is bad for the morale of the brotherhood.

Every good leader exercises judgement about when to - and when not to - to enforce discipline and when to look the other way. Your logic about "the rules" sounds chillingly like the Nazi's excuses in the Nuremberg trials. In combat, every day, soldiers break bulls*** rules all the time when their lives are on the line….and good commanders look the other way.

My son is thinking about joining the military….I pray that if he does that he never serves under an officer like you.

If you want to hurt the "organizational discipline" of the U.S. armed forces then you lead the charge and prosecute this soldier. If you want to earn a few "hooah's" then you, as a military leader, refuse to prosecute him and tell any civilian assh**** like Obama that they can pound sand.

Sorry, i have to agree with ex313 on that. That being said its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If you don't like the laws and rules you should work to change them and hopefully this does.

You cant break a rule or law just because you feel its unjust or unconstitutional, you have to prove it so and change it which is what I'm hoping that officer does, but if he his not brought up on charges nothing changes other than the thought that you can disobey a rule or order if you don't like it and get away with it

Does it suck?

Yes

Is it wrong?

in this case yes as well, but hopefully even the liberal hiptards will see it this time and our soldiers will be allowed to legally protect themselves and us on American soil again

Bulls***. Blindly following illogical, unconstitutional regulations is not commendable but stupid. If every commander chose to blindly follow "the rules" that you seem to worship then we would all be in deep sh**. Any commander worth his salt would not only come out in defense of this soldier but put his OWN job on the line to defend him…"something like - If you prosecute him I quit, and i encourage all other brave soldiers to do the same." This soldier saved lives while defending them against a terrorist assho**.
He showed tremendous bravery under fire. To punish him for a bull****, probably unconstitutional regulation in this situation is not good leadership and is bad for the morale of the brotherhood.

Every good leader exercises judgement about when to - and when not to - to enforce discipline and when to look the other way. Your logic about "the rules" sounds chillingly like the Nazi's excuses in the Nuremberg trials. In combat, every day, soldiers break bulls*** rules all the time when their lives are on the line….and good commanders look the other way.

My son is thinking about joining the military….I pray that if he does that he never serves under an officer like you.

If you want to hurt the "organizational discipline" of the U.S. armed forces then you lead the charge and prosecute this soldier. If you want to earn a few "hooah's" then you, as a military leader, refuse to prosecute him and tell any civilian assh**** like Obama that they can pound sand.

An officer like me? Where did I say I was an officer?

Sad enough I think there are not any General Patton's left in today's military..? With that said why do find it necessary to insult and be rude to another member who's a veteran no matter what capacity he or she served in? He's simply telling stories and sharing his perspective. People are allowed to have experiences and opinions that are different than yours.

Didn't say you were an officer…said I did not want my son to serve under an officer LIKE you…..meaning an officer who thinks like you.

Do you know who the man in my avatar is?

He was the man who created the rules I had to live under when I was in the Air Force. I didn't say I agreed with anything that I was writing about. I said that's the way it is.

I served from 1981 to 1985. What about you?

Sad enough I think there are not any General Patton's left in today's military..? With that said why do find it necessary to insult and be rude to another member who's a veteran no matter what capacity he or she served in? He's simply telling stories and sharing his perspective. People are allowed to have experiences and opinions that are different than yours.

Opinions are like ass*****, everybody has one. This member KNEW his post would be unpopular with many people. I simply proved him right. Also, I could not allow a post that supports the destruction of an american hero's military career go unchallenged. Stay off the internet if straight talk offends you.

Do you know who the man in my avatar is?

He was the man who created the rules I had to live under when I was in the Air Force. I didn't say I agreed with anything that I was writing about. I said that's the way it is.

I served from 1981 to 1985. What about you?

Exactly how did you serve? What was your job? Did you ever turn in fellow flyers for "breaking the rules"?

Im sorry if you take it personally that I chose to differ with your "blindly obey" mentality. You are perfectly ok with a hero being droned out of the service because he broke a chicken **** rule….I'm not. I never claimed to have served in the military….you, however, have chosen to put your service out there. Did you ever serve in combat or carry a gun? Have you ever been in a self defense, "shots fired" situation?

Finally, are you from Detroit? If so, then we will disagree on many things I think…

BTW, is that guy Hitler?

And do you know who my avatar guy is? He's way cooler than yours :cool:

Opinions are like ass*****, everybody has one. This member KNEW his post would be unpopular with many people. I simply proved him right. Also, I could not allow a post that supports the destruction of an american hero's military career go unchallenged. Stay off the internet if straight talk offends you.

If your son feels the same way as you do about it, perhaps it would be better for him to avoid becoming an MP at all costs.

Point of the matter is, whether you like it or not, officers and enlisted men who choose not to follow an order have to face the consequences of the choice they make. Sometimes, they may be vindicated and the consequences will be positive.
Most of the time they won't.
Allen West made a choice. It cost him his career in the Army. This officer made a choice and even though it saved some lives, it will most likely end up costing him his career.

Back
Top Bottom