• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Navy Officer Who Fired on Islamist During Chattanooga Terror Attack Will Be Charged

When I first read this thread I knew he had not been charged and my opinion was Allen West was leaked information about an ongoing investigation and decided to go ahead and get public opinion behind this Officer in order to curtail any legal action or minimize it at least. It is starting to appear that is exactly what is going on behind the scenes IMO.

When I first read this thread I knew he had not been charged and my opinion was Allen West was leaked information about an ongoing investigation and decided to go ahead and get public opinion behind this Officer in order to curtail any legal action or minimize it at least. It is starting to appear that is exactly what is going on behind the scenes IMO.

That makes a lot of sense. The words were carefully chosen by the navy spokesperson not necessarily the full truth but what will pacify the public and not inflame them.

I know this is going to get a lot of people upset, but;

When I was in Strategic Air Command, one of the guys on my flight couldn't make it into work on time because his wife was in labor.
He called his Squad Leader and let him know. Squad leader told him to come in as soon as it was feasible.
The next day, the Sgt. shows up for work passing out cigars. Guard-mount ensues.
After Guard-mount, the new father is taken into a room with the Squad Leader who then issues a Letter of Reprimand (LOR) to the Sgt. .
While it was recognized that he was a new father and that was a great thing, the Sgt. had failed to arrive for duty on time. It was explained that he and his wife should have made arrangements for this contingency.
Not showing up for duty isn't an option unless you are physically incapacitated.

This officer brought a personal weapon to work. Against orders and in violation of the law. He accepted these risks when he did so.

If Allen West is correct about what's happening, I doubt there's going to be "charges" and a Courts Martial. There will almost certainly be a LOR placed in this officers folder. That will in effect end his career.
He will have the option of demanding a CM instead of accepting the LOR but if he loses, he will end up as a Felon and at the least, a "Less than Honorable Discharge".

This isn't Obama. This is the Military. I doubt Obama will give two ****s about this officer, but the Commander of the Naval Recruiting Command will have to. Rules and Regulations must be followed and officers are expected to set the example for the people under their command. If you don't enforce the rules, regs and laws, your organizational discipline begins to falter.

I hope that the officer is able to use an excuse like "I brought it to work because I was going shooting at quitting time". But that isn't likely to fly.

I know this is going to get a lot of people upset, but;

When I was in Strategic Air Command, one of the guys on my flight couldn't make it into work on time because his wife was in labor.
He called his Squad Leader and let him know. Squad leader told him to come in as soon as it was feasible.
The next day, the Sgt. shows up for work passing out cigars. Guard-mount ensues.
After Guard-mount, the new father is taken into a room with the Squad Leader who then issues a Letter of Reprimand (LOR) to the Sgt. .
While it was recognized that he was a new father and that was a great thing, the Sgt. had failed to arrive for duty on time. It was explained that he and his wife should have made arrangements for this contingency.
Not showing up for duty isn't an option unless you are physically incapacitated.

This officer brought a personal weapon to work. Against orders and in violation of the law. He accepted these risks when he did so.

If Allen West is correct about what's happening, I doubt there's going to be "charges" and a Courts Martial. There will almost certainly be a LOR placed in this officers folder. That will in effect end his career.
He will have the option of demanding a CM instead of accepting the LOR but if he loses, he will end up as a Felon and at the least, a "Less than Honorable Discharge".

This isn't Obama. This is the Military. I doubt Obama will give two ****s about this officer, but the Commander of the Naval Recruiting Command will have to. Rules and Regulations must be followed and officers are expected to set the example for the people under their command. If you don't enforce the rules, regs and laws, your organizational discipline begins to falter.

I hope that the officer is able to use an excuse like "I brought it to work because I was going shooting at quitting time". But that isn't likely to fly.

Agreed.... This isn't about Terrorist of Obama, it's simply about rules (stupid as they may be) and how anyone else would be treated. That's the rule of law that makes America great. If you don't like the rules then elect different people and change them...(we can all agree that many should be changed). I just can't stand how so many are so quick to jump on a clearly questionable story and use it to enforce your hatred of Obama...and liberals. If Clinton changed the rules then there was plenty of time for Bush and Cheny to change them back. But of course the RIGHT does no wrong:orange: Thought that was funny.

Agreed.... This isn't about Terrorist of Obama, it's simply about rules (stupid as they may be) and how anyone else would be treated. That's the rule of law that makes America great. If you don't like the rules then elect different people and change them...(we can all agree that many should be changed). I just can't stand how so many are so quick to jump on a clearly questionable story and use it to enforce your hatred of Obama...and liberals. If Clinton changed the rules then there was plenty of time for Bush and Cheny to change them back. But of course the RIGHT does no wrong:orange: Thought that was funny.

I had a contracting job working for the Navy back in Michigan. At that time I had an NRA Pistol Instructors certificate.

I approached the head NCOIC at the Command HQ and told him I was more than willing to provide free instruction to the Sailors. Especially the ones who were leaving the Command and heading over to support the war.
He unequivocally told me that he did not want his sailors to have anything to do with it. He didn't like the idea of his Sailors having guns and he was concerned that one of them might do something stupid if they had a gun.
I didn't argue with him, he's a Master Chief and you don't argue with them. :)

But there is more than just a "policy" here. Something I see from anti-gun veterans. "When my shift/patrol/deployment was over, my guns went back to the armory!" is typical.
I think there is an "institutional" sort of attitude that says, "No orders, no weapons" and they're comfortable with that.

The Democrat that will get my vote hasn't been born yet. I'm no fan of Obama.

But I have to be honest and say that without some corroboration on this story, I'm inclined to think that there's not going to be "charges" but a LOR and an invitation to retire at the current rank.

Feasible... and another reason to like Col. West.

"Stories of Navy personnel being charged with an offense are not true. There is still a long way to go in reviewing the facts of this tragic incident, but at this time we can confirm no service member has been charged with an offense,"

Very specific and open statement. Almost sounds like a politician...

Yep, the senior leadership knows who did what and to whom. Idiots who claim that the coroners report has not been completed are ignorant. These types if incidents take a high priority and are expedited.

The problem is how to punish the Marine Commander in relationship to the politics involved and public sentiment.

They are carefully scrutinizing this and considering the outcomes. Order must be maintained at any sacrifice, even if at the cost of the lives of unarmed marines and a seaman.

But maybe I'm wrong and they will do the "right" thing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom