• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Navy Officer Who Fired on Islamist During Chattanooga Terror Attack Will Be Charged

With all of the hypocrisy we as a country have and have had with respect to how we choose to enforce our laws this one seems like a no brainier. Wether this officer broke the rules or not, I think we can all agree that in this one case it turned out to be a good thing he did. Especially for those who lived. Maybe he should be confined to barracks until he finishes a cold beer....

Exactly how did you serve? What was your job? Did you ever turn in fellow flyers for "breaking the rules"?

Im sorry if you take it personally that I chose to differ with your "blindly obey" mentality. You are perfectly ok with a hero being droned out of the service because he broke a chicken **** rule….I'm not. I never claimed to have served in the military….you, however, have chosen to put your service out there. Did you ever serve in combat or carry a gun? Have you ever been in a self defense, "shots fired" situation?

Finally, are you from Detroit? If so, then we will disagree on many things I think…

BTW, is that guy Hitler?

I was a an Air Force Security Policeman. I served in USAFE and SAC. I carried a number of different guns while I was on duty.

No I didn't serve in combat. I did spend some time in body armor dealing with anti-nuclear protesters.
That guy in the Avatar is General Curtis Lemay. General Lemay was equally feared and respected by the people who served under him. I didn't have the opportunity to serve under his command, but I did serve under the officers who came up through the ranks while he was in command.

Yes I enforced some chicken **** rules. That was my job. I also enforced some rules that were put in place to prevent World War 3 or just an unplanned merger of Lake Superior with Lakes Michigan and Huron.

Unfortunately he did break a law, as horrible a law as it is. This is the end result of the "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" mantra. You know that every morning when he put that pistol on he made the decision that it was worth it. Think of it as a Ga resident carrying into SC, is it worth it? You decide.

The answer is to change the law before anyone else is impacted by it, not keeping the law and choosing not to enforce it (like federal drug laws in some state, just saying).

Dont get me wrong, I feel for this man. It pisses me off that our military is disarmed. THE LESSON SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEARNED AT THE SHIPYARD SHOOTING IN 2013. But when you pick and choose what laws to enforce it becomes a slippery slope.

I will be on the phone in the morning calling for a change in the law. The answer is to change the law and make it retroactive.

As a side note I still have a little .25 that my father bought to carry in PR back in the early 70's. He was land based navy and not issued a weapon for self defense.
EX POST FACTO LAW? Can't do it! You cannot make illegal the act I did today! That's why they have laws going into effect on Jan 1 to publicize and inform.

Unfortunately he did break a law, as horrible a law as it is. This is the end result of the "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" mantra. You know that every morning when he put that pistol on he made the decision that it was worth it. Think of it as a Ga resident carrying into SC, is it worth it? You decide.

The answer is to change the law before anyone else is impacted by it, not keeping the law and choosing not to enforce it (like federal drug laws in some state, just saying).

Dont get me wrong, I feel for this man. It pisses me off that our military is disarmed. THE LESSON SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEARNED AT THE SHIPYARD SHOOTING IN 2013. But when you pick and choose what laws to enforce it becomes a slippery slope.

I will be on the phone in the morning calling for a change in the law. The answer is to change the law and make it retroactive.

As a side note I still have a little .25 that my father bought to carry in PR back in the early 70's. He was land based navy and not issued a weapon for self defense.

EX POST FACTO LAW? Can't do it! You cannot make illegal the act I did today! That's why they have laws going into effect on Jan 1 to publicize and inform.

Other way around, call for the REMOVAL of a law and its consequences. Otherwise known as an amnesty law. DECRIMINALIZING the act.

Gen Curtis LeMay was an American hero and a tough, no-nonsense leader who made hard decisions. He also does not sound like a General who would put up with chicken**** rules that put his troops in a defenseless position...

A famous legend often used by SAC flight crews to illustrate LeMay's command style concerned his famous ever-present cigar.[30] In the first known published account of the story, Life Magazine reporter Ernest Havemann related that LeMay once took the co-pilot's seat of a SAC bomber to observe the mission, complete with lit cigar.[31] When asked by the pilot to put the cigar out, LeMay demanded to know why. When the pilot explained that fumes inside the fuselage could ignite the airplane, LeMay reportedly growled, "It wouldn't dare."[31] The incident in the article was later used as the basis for a fictional scene in the 1955 film Strategic Air Command. In his highly controversial and factually disputed[32][33] memoir War's End, Major General Charles Sweeney related an alleged 1944 incident that may have been the basis for the "It wouldn't dare" comment.[34]

Despite his uncompromising attitude regarding performance of duty, LeMay was also known for his concern for the physical well-being and comfort of his men.[35] LeMay found ways to encourage morale, individual performance, and the reenlistment rate through a number of means: encouraging off-duty group recreational activities,[36][37] instituting spot promotions based on performance, and authorizing special uniforms, training, equipment, and allowances for ground personnel[38] as well as flight crews.

Gen Curtis LeMay was an American hero and a tough, no-nonsense leader who made hard decisions. He also does not sound like a General who would put up with chicken**** rules that put his troops in a defenseless position...

A famous legend often used by SAC flight crews to illustrate LeMay's command style concerned his famous ever-present cigar.[30] In the first known published account of the story, Life Magazine reporter Ernest Havemann related that LeMay once took the co-pilot's seat of a SAC bomber to observe the mission, complete with lit cigar.[31] When asked by the pilot to put the cigar out, LeMay demanded to know why. When the pilot explained that fumes inside the fuselage could ignite the airplane, LeMay reportedly growled, "It wouldn't dare."[31] The incident in the article was later used as the basis for a fictional scene in the 1955 film Strategic Air Command. In his highly controversial and factually disputed[32][33] memoir War's End, Major General Charles Sweeney related an alleged 1944 incident that may have been the basis for the "It wouldn't dare" comment.[34]

Despite his uncompromising attitude regarding performance of duty, LeMay was also known for his concern for the physical well-being and comfort of his men.[35] LeMay found ways to encourage morale, individual performance, and the reenlistment rate through a number of means: encouraging off-duty group recreational activities,[36][37] instituting spot promotions based on performance, and authorizing special uniforms, training, equipment, and allowances for ground personnel[38] as well as flight crews.

You're idea of what enforcing chicken **** rules vs. Lemay's are probably a bit different. Lemay came from the officer corp that won World War 2.

The Official SAC Motto was "Peace Is Our Profession".
The unofficial SAC motto was "To Err Is Human. To Forgive is not SAC Policy."
Anyone who served in SAC will tell you that. He was especially hard on his officers. He demanded the highest military standards of behavior, appearance and job knowledge.
In turn, those officers demanded the same of the people under their command.
A lot of the things that we had to do on a day to day basis were indeed chicken ****. That is the military. That's how it goes.
You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.

Opinions are like ass*****, everybody has one. This member KNEW his post would be unpopular with many people. I simply proved him right. Also, I could not allow a post that supports the destruction of an american hero's military career go unchallenged. Stay off the internet if straight talk offends you.

I love straight talk. But apparently you don't realize you can express your opinion and question someone else's without being rude and insulting:D I think he's made it clear it's not his own personal opinion, just a reality of the system. Like it or not following rules and orders is the very foundation of discipline and discipline is the very foundation of armed forces in a Free Society. So you want military commanders to ignore the rules and command structure when you think somethings stupid? What happens when they take it upon themselves (break rules) to then do something you disagree with? How about this story. Commander allows his base soldiers to be armed against the rules. One of his soldiers goes nuts because his breakfast is overcooked and shoots and kills 5 people in the mess hall. It's the commander himself who throws himself in front of others and shoots nut boy dead. HERO or VILLAIN? Just saying that everything isn't as clear cut as many would like to believe and there's no reason for personal attacks if someone doesn't agree with you. Especially on the internet where little men can talk big. (no saying that's you)

If your son feels the same way as you do about it, perhaps it would be better for him to avoid becoming an MP at all costs.

Point of the matter is, whether you like it or not, officers and enlisted men who choose not to follow an order have to face the consequences of the choice they make. Sometimes, they may be vindicated and the consequences will be positive.
Most of the time they won't.
Allen West made a choice. It cost him his career in the Army. This officer made a choice and even though it saved some lives, it will most likely end up costing him his career.

ok. it's giveaway day so let's call a truce. I meant to disagree with you, not insult you or your service.

ok spavent?

However, i still disagree. This officer could have made a choice not to return fire and in so doing saved his career…but I like the choice he made.

ok. it's giveaway day so let's call a truce. I meant to disagree with you, not insult you or your service.

ok spavent?

However, i still disagree. This officer could have made a choice not to return fire and in so doing saved his career…but I like the choice he made.

No problems and I wasn't insulted. I understand where you were coming from.

Back
Top Bottom