• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Last Will and Testament - Who gets your stuff

When my father passed a few years back. I inherited his firearms and such. It was really important to me and my father that I got them. We both made it clear to the rest of the family of our wants/wishes. I enjoyed very much doing outdoor events with my father. There is one thing that I wish he would have shared with me and that is details on every gun item that he had. Even today as I go through what I inherited, there are items that I don't know what it goes to, "scope mounts and such". I would have also enjoyed hearing more about how he acquired some items.

Definitely make sure your family is aware of your wishes. Even if you don't have a family member that wants your stuff, think of a good friend that you know would appreciate the items and let them in for a conversation with your family.
“Making family aware of your wishes” won’t fly. The greed and avarice that surfaces upon the death of a family member can be quite overwhelming.
Need an iron-clad will designating who gets what of the valuable items.
The cut-throat antics that can appear over the seemingly most minor items can be mind boggling.
If there are multiple family members surviving, especially estranged ones, and there is a large estate remaining, I would consider hiring armed security to guard the property until the will is read.
I have seen deadbeat relatives actually break in and loot the deceased’s home while the close family was at the funeral service. “Auntie Mary always said I could have all her jewelry”.

“Making family aware of your wishes” won’t fly. The greed and avarice that surfaces upon the death of a family member can be quite overwhelming.
Need an iron-clad will designating who gets what of the valuable items.
The cut-throat antics that can appear over the seemingly most minor items can be mind boggling.
If there are multiple family members surviving, especially estranged ones, and there is a large estate remaining, I would consider hiring armed security to guard the property until the will is read.
I have seen deadbeat relatives actually break in and loot the deceased’s home while the close family was at the funeral service. “Auntie Mary always said I could have all her jewelry”.
Yeah, I have heard some terrible tales of greedy family members swooping in like buzzards.

Back
Top Bottom