• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Last Will and Testament - Who gets your stuff

My father in law passed away last April, still in the middle of it fighting with my wife’s POS half brother. Please have a will and be specific! We’ve spent thousands already and aren’t really much closer to a solution 10 months later.
Yep, the more there is the worse it is. And the longer it takes. I had to get mine and my wife's parents to get their wills in order because of the things I've seen

When we set ours up, the attorney said if there was someone we didn’t want to get anything, they should be mentioned in the will specifically as getting nothing. Otherwise they could use the “oh, he was old, and just forgot us” ploy.
I had a will previously where I specifically excluded someone, not because I didn’t want them to get anything but because they were in a garnishment situation. I felt better to name someone who would be in a position to help that person in my absence. And the thought of the government seizing anything in that situation made me sick.

My oldest has no interest in guns at ALL, my youngest will definitely inherit my knives and guns. Hell, I'm more concerned about who gets all of my tools! A guy could start a commercial cabinet company with my woodshop tools and I have enough electrical tools to outfit three or four service trucks. I've always lived by the mantra, you can never go wrong buying quality tools, tools keep you from relying on others to fix what's broke or build new!

A Trust is the way to go. Probate not involved at all. Everything is spelled out who gets what. All financial institutions holding bank accounts, investment accounts, CD's, whatever are legally bound to distribute the financial assets to whomever is specifically named in the Trust. Avoids bickering by family members.

All my guns are my sons guns!! he keeps them stored here, at my house....funny...when I talk about getting a "new gun" folks say "what are you going to do with another gun"?? i quickly inform them..."they are not mine...they are my son's"....talk to him about that!!

Somebody earlier in this thread said he wanted to leave firearms to an adult child with the restriction that they can never sell them --the guns should just be made available for their use.

I don't think that can be done through a W
will or any clauses in the will. If you're giving away the tangible personal property, you're gonna be giving it away free of any encumbrances or restrictions.
They can sell it.

A gun trust, where some more responsible person is the trustee and the adult kid is the beneficiary, but does not have the full power of a trustee, is the way to handle that.

Some times a will doesn’t matter. I’ve known folks who were at the funeral and estranged relatives broke into the home of the deceased and removed the most valuable items they had been “promised”.
Nothing brings out the worthless bastards like a death in the family.
Working as an estate liquidator I will vouch for this. People are disgusting, horrible and niggardly after a family member dies. I've seen grown people get into fist fights over a "painting" actually a cheap print) that I'd valued at less than $50.

An old GF's father told me about his family's practice of getting all the beneficiaries together for an "auction." Each person was given the same amount of play money and they could bid on items from the estate. How badly do you want that S&H Green Stamp lamp? You have to outbid your siblings.

My baby brother is on my trust so he gets to take all my Title II stuff. I told him to let his kids pick out what they want and then rent a truck and take everything left to Montrose Auction and let Trey sell it off. I don't want a bunch of neckbeard vultures picking my bones clean after I die, gathering at the Waffle House and patting themselves on the belly all satisfied with what they "stole" from the family selling my stuff.

Back
Top Bottom