• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

how to hold a suspect for police

So you do not feel you have an obligation to protect someone other than "you and yours"?

my law enforcement training would more than likely, and unless my children were with me I would act. Should the average private citizen do something... That a gut check they will have to make in that moment. But, it is not trying to play police to act in a lethal force incident, it's an individual making a measured response to a situation. Would you pass by a fresh horrible accident on the roadway because you do not want to be an EMT? (Failure to stop and render aid?)

The "Good Samaritan Law" covers me if I help an accident victim. I am not going to spend the next decade getting pounded in the ass because I wanted to play cops and robbers.

I would most likely help someone in danger but I am not holding anyone.

You flap your arms and keep yelling "Citizen Arrest" "Citizen Arrest" "Citizen Arrest"
First I wouldnt have drawn down on him as long as the crackhead just wanted the stores money... and I did not fear for my life...

I think you are slightly mixing scenarios.

Nonetheless, IMHO I have a moral obligation to step in and do something in a lethal force situation in defense of a third party just as much as I do to stop and render aid.

You flap your arms and keep yelling "Citizen Arrest" "Citizen Arrest" "Citizen Arrest"
First I wouldnt have drawn down on him as long as the crackhead just wanted the stores money... and I did not fear for my life...

:lol: thats it. Atlanta Pd is always looking for good men! I aint one of them. I just want my red bull and newports. Not trying to spend more money by wasting my HSTs.

Nonetheless, IMHO I have a moral obligation to step in and do something in a lethal force situation in defense of a third party just as much as I do to stop and render aid.

He has not used the baseball bat. He could be just yelling and shaking it around. IMO thats not a lethal force situation.

Keeping one man from killing another is one thing, but detaining someone is a matter all onto itself.

He has not used the baseball bat. He could be just yelling and shaking it around. IMO thats not a lethal force situation.

Judgment... And articulation. Georgia law only requires the fear or death or severe bodily injury. I agree with Captdave in this, if they are just a bad actor with a bat and I am not worried they will do harm, let 'em go. Again, it's in that situation that judgement of the elements, and then articulating the threat after the fact are most important.

that is why i posted this question, because one day someone will come into a similar scenario and i wanted to know the laws of what you can and what you cannot do

you can defend yourself, if someone has a weapon and is using it for a crime (ie trying to rob) im pretty sure i would pull on him. if he drops bat and leaves, dont pursue, because at that point he is no longer a threat to you or anyone else in the vicinity

pretty much as long as the suspect holds lethal potential and is in a reasonable distance to do harm, mind yours and get ready. if he leaves, let the cops pick up the trail, its not your problem anymore

I have always been afraid of being charged for kidnapping because I was holding someone against there will. Is it against the law to hold a robber a gun point till the police arrived? I always thought it was a kill if you thought they were going to kill you or let them run and be free if they weren't an immediate threat. Can anyone clarify the law for me?

Back
Top Bottom