• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

how to hold a suspect for police

Tell them to lay on their stomach and face away from you with there arms spread palms up, and to cross their ankles. I somewhat concur with the previous statement to get a good description, tag number, etc. OCGA 16-3-21 allows for use of lethal force in defense of a third party as well as yourself, and to prevent a forceable felony... Presenting deadly force needs to be backed by an actual fear of imminent death, or severe bodily harm.

so what if the suspect just threw a stand of some kind of the counter and threatened to kill or harm the clerk, would you then be legally able to use force

Last edited:
In a nut shell... Yep. You added an important element.

If you can articulate... I was in fear for my life, their life, or their lives you are clear. Furthermore the much debated "stand your ground" is valid if YOU are confronted with a deadly force incident, and it works hand in hand with OCGA 16-3-21

Tell him what the ODT is.....we don't want his business, but he'll def. be busy for hrs,days,weeks....years.....plenty of time for the 5-0 to show up.

Id just dial 911 and wait. Id stay hidden and wait for the police. That is unless he comes at me with that baseball bat.

Ok, Devils Advocate here.

Should said bad actor swing, or draw back said bat at the clerk and say they will kill them... What then? I agree, being a good witness to a crime is preferable. Hopefully the members here (although I question a few) do not walk through life praying for the lesser forms of filth to give them a reason to tryout their EDC, but situational thinking presents that thought, what if....?

Have him lay face Down with arms spread. Get distance between him and you. Call 911. Keep hand on holstered gun when cops arrive. Make sure to tell dispatcher what he is wearing, what you are wearing, that you are holding at
Gun point, in fear for your life. When cops show up say you are going to slowly raise your empty hands. Do so and follow instructions.

Masada ayoob does a great walk through in his video by panteao productions. Worth the 18 bucks a month.

id hold it on him and tell who ever is on the line with the 5-0 to give a good description to the dispatcher whats going on (that is assuming i already felt the need to pull it)

wouldnt want the cops to come in and you have your weapon drawn, confusion is a bad thing

if he is non compliant and decides to leave, dont follow him out or chase them. only use your gun if your life or someone elses is threatened (if he is walking towards you or close enough to close a distance, id keep my gun trained on him)

Back
Top Bottom