• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

My ammo supply is not about the SHTF. I started buying bulk years ago knowing that prices never go down. Buy cheap and stack it deep.

I have "tweaked" my planning somewhat and I am still buying the occasional 9mm and 12ga ammo.

At the moment, I have no plans to bug out. You need a place to bug 'to' if you are going to bug 'out'. Unless you've got a solid base to work from and supplies already located there, "bugging out" to me makes no sense.
So my plans revolve around staying put.

My ammo supply is not about the SHTF. I started buying bulk years ago knowing that prices never go down. Buy cheap and stack it deep.

I have "tweaked" my planning somewhat and I am still buying the occasional 9mm and 12ga ammo.

At the moment, I have no plans to bug out. You need a place to bug 'to' if you are going to bug 'out'. Unless you've got a solid base to work from and supplies already located there, "bugging out" to me makes no sense.
So my plans revolve around staying put.

Bugging out should always be an option. What if your house catches fire, or is being over run by baddies, or there is something going on close to you that you need to move away from like a dirty bomb or flood? I am planning to stay put if at all possible but also have a back up plan just in case I need to move. It would be smart to think about this now and not when you have ten minutes to pack up and get out ASAP.

Bugging out should always be an option. What if your house catches fire, or is being over run by baddies, or there is something going on close to you that you need to move away from like a dirty bomb or flood? I am planning to stay put if at all possible but also have a back up plan just in case I need to move. It would be smart to think about this now and not when you have ten minutes to pack up and get out ASAP.

I have no place to bug to. Simple as that. If bugging is necessary, we'll take what we can carry and go. If I had a place where I could pre-position supplies, it would be done already.
The closest family I have is 400 miles away and under most 'scenarios' traveling that far ain't gonna happen if SHTF. I have spoken with some folks about a bug-out location closer with a group but up until this point no invitation has been extended. When I talk about "bugging out" I mean having a secure storage container type structure or house with weapons/ammo/food already there. So if I bug with nothing but a handgun and it gets confiscated at a road block I've got what I need when I get there.
Fire would suck...whether it's SHTF or 4th of July firework gone wrong. If my house burns I'm SOL, either now or when SHTF.
Unless Noah shows up or asteroid hits the Atlantic I'm not in any flood zone. A dirty bomb will contaminate a large enough area that "bugging" out of the zone may be 700 mile trip...if it's close enough to me here then it would be too close for the two areas where I'd choose to bug to.
As far as being over run by baddies....either you expect to get overrun and leave ahead of time or you survive the initial overrun and decide you may not survive the next one...or you go out in blaze of glory. If you are in danger of being overrun at home, are your chances of escape in a thin skinned vehicle from your home really that good?

Don't get me wrong I've got a plan to 'get away' from the location if things go south. But not just any body is going to let you stock pile guns/gear ammo and food ahead of time for the 'SHTF' unless they are of like mind. Most people who don't prep wont have enough food for themselves and will sheite a brick when you pull up in their driveway.
So, yea we'll pile into the vehicles with what we can carry and hope the people we thought were friends still are.
One thing I've learned in life: you have be honest with yourself. I have no place to go, so plan A, B, C, and D revolve around that fact.
A lot of people talk about "bugging out" like it's forgone conclusion that they'll weave in and out of stalled vehicles the length of the interstate till they reach the "mountains of North Georgia". Then, there will be a small clearing near a creek were water, fish and wild game are plentiful where they will pull in and set up camp there to live happily ever after.

If I had really deep pockets I'd have badace location set up that I owned lock stock and barrel..but I aint rich. I just have to deal with reality as it stands.

Last edited:
I think 1,000 rnds of your common hand gun ammo is good, mine is 9mm plus I have at least that much in rifle ammo and 22LR. I have about 200 rnds of 12ga and recently aquired a a different caliber so now I'm trying to play catch up with that caliber.
I think you need at least 3 mags per handgun.

as of right now my .40 SW is sorta dried up, but i have almost 600 rds of .22 LR and plans to beef up the ammo count. not to mention plans to add a shotty and an AR plus ammo. personally carrying all that weight on my back just aint gonna happen so i found a way to do so. ive built two trailers for a bicycle, and have a plastic like tub on wheels for if im gonna have to walk. the issue with having a lot of weight in a trailer on a bike is hills and mountains, ive thought of finding a way to motorize a bike and till have use of the pedals motor for steep hills and mtns, petals for flat areas. all of this is still a work in progress. ive seen where people have mentioned a cleaning kit in this tread honestly ive got one in my bag for the reason of a .22 is one dirty round. if anyone has any ideas of how to improve on these ideas and such pm me or tell me on here!

as of right now my .40 SW is sorta dried up, but i have almost 600 rds of .22 LR and plans to beef up the ammo count. not to mention plans to add a shotty and an AR plus ammo. personally carrying all that weight on my back just aint gonna happen so i found a way to do so. ive built two trailers for a bicycle, and have a plastic like tub on wheels for if im gonna have to walk. the issue with having a lot of weight in a trailer on a bike is hills and mountains, ive thought of finding a way to motorize a bike and till have use of the pedals motor for steep hills and mtns, petals for flat areas. all of this is still a work in progress. ive seen where people have mentioned a cleaning kit in this tread honestly ive got one in my bag for the reason of a .22 is one dirty round. if anyone has any ideas of how to improve on these ideas and such pm me or tell me on here!

Yeah man, a car. lol --- You could be a character in The Walking Dead. Maybe a guy in the background thats being chased uphill by zombies while on an old bike with a weedeater engine attached to the rear chain ring----plastic tubs of ammo in tow. It'd be hilarious.

Honestly unless you need to go somewhere that sounds like a tough plan my friend. There are plenty of pre-made motorized vehicles out there. Best of luck.

i guess i should have been a touch more clear, the bike is a last ditch effort kinda thing, or could be used for scavenging, hunting, etc. not as a primary means for gettin outta dodge

Back
Top Bottom