• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

Laufen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
49   0
Reaction score
In response to the ammo scavenging thread.

Honest question. Lets say a SHTF scenario arises. How much ammunition (realistically) do you expect to use. Just to implicate myself, I am an ammo hoarder. I love buying large, heavy brown boxes of ammo and stacking them up. I mainly buy these quatities when I find a good sale, but I can't really convince myself that I would need much more than a box or two of ammo for a SHTF situation. Of course it depends on the situtation, but a hurricane/flood/earthquake would take a much smaller amount in my opinion than economic collapse.

I dunno...how much do you think is truly neccesary if you think about it logically? Also if you ever had to leave your house are you fit enough to pack all of the gear/ammo you deem neccesary?

I used to have about 500 rounds of 9mm and 45ACP, 2000 rounds of 22 and about 200 shells of 12ga at any given time. Now I don't shoot as much so I have maybe 200-300 rounds of 9mm, 45, and 22 and a couple boxes of shells. I think that would be good for short term if I live long enough to use it. You could stock guns and ammo from floor to ceiling but if the zombie horde breaks into your house and eats you what good will it do?

Just to piggyback off of your thread, my concern isn't so much how much ammo do I need, its how many loaded mags. Again 2000 rounds and only 2 30 round mags isn't going to be good either.

The "how much can you carry" thing is something I dont like considering haha. I recently bought 5000 rounds of .22 and the box easily weighed 50 lbs. I guess it is all a compromise.

The "how much can you carry" thing is something I dont like considering haha. I recently bought 5000 rounds of .22 and the box easily weighed 50 lbs. I guess it is all a compromise.

Definitely. That amount even brings up the question of are we going to be in a position to maintain our guns. Lugging 5k rounds of .22 around and no cleaning kit might not be a good idea.

^Seems logical, but with 300 rounds do you think you would need a cleaning kit? Maybe if it's a Taurus......

If I used more than 300 rounds through out the whole ordeal id be shocked. most of those 300 would be coming from my FN FS2000. So I dont have to worry about cleaning. I also dont worry about ammo, I have enough of that.

It seems there are drastic differences of opinion on the cause of the SHTF on this site. Some of the questions leave me wondering what is in the mind of the "asker".

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, pessimistic, whatever.

In my mind, you carry a battle load out of at least 4 mags (120 rounds) and preferably 7+ mags on your person. you have at least a few thousand rounds scattered between various cache points, along with additional weapons.

Who are ya'll expecting to need firearms for? I'm less concerned about hostile ATL zombies than I am about blue hat wearing folks here on a "hearts and minds" mission at the request of the troubled US .gov. (you do know about the HongKong provincial Police arrangement, right?)

Are ya'll thinking the SHTF and things will be restored in a few days? Who's going to restore things?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom