• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many people are using a freeze dryer?

Allsmiles

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
I got a freeze dryer about a month ago and have been using it a lot making different type of things. Just wondering who else has one and any good tips or recipes. Right now have apples freeze drying for grandson as he loves them. So far I have made shrimp alfredo with mini penne, shrimp creole, raw eggs (120 and counting), chili-mac, ice cream, yogurt dots (kids), and a lot of candy for wife and friends.
Next item to be made is chicken a-la king with rice. Just got 150 mylar bags so I can start getting serious about putting stuff away.

I have one from Harvest Right too. We use it for everything from soup to fruit. We do all the garden stuff as well as buy bulk organic grains, beans, even canned stuff on sale at grocery, run it all through. We have a mountain of brunswick stew.

I have one from Harvest Right too. We use it for everything from soup to fruit. We do all the garden stuff as well as buy bulk organic grains, beans, even canned stuff on sale at grocery, run it all through. We have a mountain of brunswick stew.
Anything you have tried that didn't turn out right? So far, so good on mine. I did make enough chili mac the other day to feed a bunch of people. Sam's had Hormel chili w/o beans for $3.56/6 pack on clearance. I got a couple of 6 packs; but wish I had grabbed more.
The only thing that I have made that I would change up next time was shimp alfredo with mini penne. The noodles when freeze dried have sharp points that punctured several mylar bags and had to be repacked.

We try to do lots of fresh fruit in season, really the only thing that is still giving us fits just happens to be our favorite, blueberries. Really any fruit has to either be cut or at least the skin pierced so the water can get out. Blueberries are so small you can't cut 'em, so you have to pierce the skin. The only way that I know of that gets passable results is to spread them out while still frozen and press a wire brush into them. If not frozen they just gum up the brush. Even this leaves some that don't dry completly, so we don't depend on them for long term. We have not done much meat yet either but I've read that fatty doesn't dry or store well.

Back
Top Bottom