• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

Those that plan to shoot 1000 rounds of ammo in self defense - what are you going to do with all the bodies? Let's say that they are extra tough and you can't shoot really well so 5 rounds per dead body gives you 200 dead neighbors stacked around your "bug in location" aka suburban stick-built heavily morgaged Cape Cod house. If you have 100 feet of frontage on your nice quiet street you should be able to stack the deceased four-high out by the sidewalk for the length of your property which should provide you some protection from incoming gunfire.

That's case one of your stash. Obviously you should stockpile one case per side to fortify your house with corpses and leave another case for additional defense. Five cases. That's the magic SHTF number. Period.

You should probably pack an additional sixer of Mountain Dew and two to three bags of Funions for provisions, and maybe an extra set of AA batteries for your discman.

pre-dug hole and lots of lime :)

It seems there are drastic differences of opinion on the cause of the SHTF on this site. Some of the questions leave me wondering what is in the mind of the "asker".

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, pessimistic, whatever.

In my mind, you carry a battle load out of at least 4 mags (120 rounds) and preferably 7+ mags on your person. you have at least a few thousand rounds scattered between various cache points, along with additional weapons.

Who are ya'll expecting to need firearms for? I'm less concerned about hostile ATL zombies than I am about blue hat wearing folks here on a "hearts and minds" mission at the request of the troubled US .gov. (you do know about the HongKong provincial Police arrangement, right?)

Are ya'll thinking the SHTF and things will be restored in a few days? Who's going to restore things?

Carry and stash.... Amen.... just depends on the situation....

The answer to this question really depends on what you are preparing for. Natural disasters expected to be cleared up within a month should require no more than a couple hundred rounds (or less). But for some, SHTF scenarios equate to years long societal collapse. Who's to say you don't need 50,000rds? Where are you? Are you really in a firefight? Against how many people? How well are they armed?

The answers lie inside your own definition of what you are preparing for.

I have some basic rules of thumb that I read about a long time ago, they made sense then and still do today.

500 rds per centerfire handgun
1,000 rds per centerfire rifle
and about 2,000 - 3,000 of QUALITY .22 LR, such as CCI Mini Mags.

Shotgun ammo is and always has been sticky issue - about 100 rds of assorted Bird-shot, 100 slugs and another 100 buckshot.

These numbers are minimum's of ammo to have on hand. The maximum is only controlled by your budget and storage space.,

Of course all this is juts as subjective as anyone else's thoughts.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
honestly half a dozen hi cap rifle mags, 4-5 pistol mags and whatever else to keep everything loaded and then reload them one more time is all i see as feasible, if you burn that you're probably dead.

Yep, outfits for 3 adults and 1 kid #1 outfit- 9 mags for the AK (1 in weapon and 4 in each belt pouch) - # 2 outfit -9 mags for the SU 16 C with same belt pouch set up- #3 outfit two 50 round bandoliers with 12 gage 00 buck and rifled slugs. # 4 kid 2000 rounds 22 LR. Handguns (all 9 mm Glocks with enough high quality hollow points for the 10 33 round glock mags and the stock mags. Enough ammo to reload all the mags once and a Kel Tec Sub 2000 cause it folds small and uses the glock mags too. I live in the city so it will be an explosion of lawless violence, if you live long enough to starve to death you will be one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom