• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

Actually ammo has been debated as a barter currency. A lot of people see it as a dangerous barter tool, but some don't think people will revert to uncivilized behavior even in a long term survival scenario and think it is a valuable trading essential.

Trade Bob some ammo for his seeds and he shoots you and still has his seeds plus he now has more ammo.

Not everyone is going to be honorable in a survival situation, in fact most probably will not. I would rather keep my ammo secret from strangers and trade other goods if I needed something from someone else. I would rather stockpile personal care items for barter. In a real long term situation, toilet paper, tooth paste, Tylenol, Aspirin, antibiotics and cheap whiskey or Listerine for antiseptic would be worth more than gold or silver for barter , paper money is worthless. Precious metals only have an intrinsic value if people still see them as valuable(serve some useful purpose). Ancient peoples did not "value" gold or silver, they saw it as a decoration or something that was easily formed into something artistic or a religious idol. If we are thrown back into the ancient way of survival, only useful things have value. The biggest advantage we have is modern firearms over our ancestors. I am not trading anything to someone to "even" the field against myself. Let someone know that you have enough ammo to trade, they will hunt you down and take all of your ammo.....and guns....and probably everything else you have. They won't have a gun fight, they will just kill you any way they can without putting themselves in too much danger like shooting you in the back with the ammo you just traded them.

Agreed. Ammo is for my use and that of my family and a very few friends. Not for trade.

My original intent for this thread wasn't the tired old "how much do you think you will need", but how much do you really think is neccesary for a shtf situation. Of course it depends on the situation, but I couldn't imagine having to defend my own life more than 100 times. Before you poo poo that, think about it, that's a pretty damned big number.

I'm quoting someone on the site, wish I could remember who

"The only times you can have too much ammo are if you're on fire or trying to swim."

I'm quoting someone on the site, wish I could remember who

"The only times you can have too much ammo are if you're on fire or trying to swim."
Or if it put your family into financial trouble, or if you want to be mobile.

Realistically, I probably have more than I would even need and feel like I'm under stocked. Too many Postman, zombie, Mad Max movies out there, I tend to think I need enough to last me the rest of my life.

Realistically I think you're right, 100 should be plenty for a LA riot or a Hurricane Katrina type situation. Personally I try and keep about 300 .40 S&W (have a Beretta 96 for the wife and a XDM for me with about 6 mags each.) and 500-1000 for the AR's. Plus 500-1000 .22. The rest of the guns I could care less, because those are our SHTF calibers.

Realistically, I probably have more than I would even need and feel like I'm under stocked. Too many Postman, zombie, Mad Max movies out there, I tend to think I need enough to last me the rest of my life.

Realistically I think you're right, 100 should be plenty for a LA riot or a Hurricane Katrina type situation. Personally I try and keep about 300 .40 S&W (have a Beretta 96 for the wife and a XDM for me with about 6 mags each.) and 500-1000 for the AR's. Plus 500-1000 .22. The rest of the guns I could care less, because those are our SHTF calibers.

I'm as guilty as anyone. My UPS man has certainly filed workers comp claims because of my orders from AIM surplus.

I'm as guilty as anyone. My UPS man has certainly filed workers comp claims because of my orders from AIM surplus.

I'm sure my UPS guy feels the same. Honestly though, I think a good base number is around 500 for pistols, 300-500 for bolt rifles and roughly 1000-1500 for semi auto rifles. I know that's way low for what most of us have, but I think it's a good well rounded starting point.

I purchased a 5.7x28 fnh pistol for just such a situation--easy to carry both pistol and it comes with 3-20 rd mags--almost as easy to carry 500 rds on the go as 22lr and is more reliable and useful in a fire fight--only drawback is you must stock all the ammo you would ever need as you are unlikely to be able to find or trade for more--that is one good thing about stocking up on 223 ammo and having several AR at your disposal is that you will always be able to trade and barter for food or anything else with them for they would become more valuable than even gold in most any survival situations

1 ammo can of each for me,or about 400 rounds 45 acp and 500 rounds 9mm you have to carry this ammo with you in the event that your home becomes too hard to secure and you have to go on foot because if shtf the roads will be a dangerous place to travel on and you can not cary 60 pounds of ammo plus survival gear and food

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom