• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

No doubt, but thats how alot of people foresee themselves acting.

I for one will keep my old uniform and LBE vest in the closet unless it's Halloween. There's lots of creative ways to conceal firepower these days. And if not, there's always my ghillie suit ;)

Agree that you can't have too much ammo but have thought how much I could reasonably bug out with. For that, loaded mags plus a "can" of 5.56, 9mm, and a couple dozen rounds of 12ga. If no car, then probably just loaded mags.

Last edited:
i keep 20+ loaded AR mags in an ammo can and keep 8 loaded G19 mags in my Maxpedition bag for instant access to "fire when ready" ammo. with that being said, i consider ammo to be potential currency and save it as such.

If you have to leave w gear and ammo, what are you guys wearing?? Those $1100 vests are nice but I like the price of mil surp flack jackets. A bit heavier but cheap enough to outfit 3-4 people. What do you guys think? I hear they defeat pistol rounds without trouble

I'm currently at and upto 5,000 rounds each for my AK's, roughly 2,500 per pistol. The only thing I'm somewhat low on is 7.62 NATO but I'm adding more everyday. I do think that ammo would be utilized as currency. Gold or silver can't protect your family or potentially put food on the table.

Depends on how the old flak vest were stored. In the air force we had training nuke suits and real flak vest and helmets. A lot of people folded them up when putting them away in the bag with the nuke suit and gas mask and stuff so there was a permanent crease in them which is a very weak spot in the kevlar as either the kevlar fragments or it drifts away from the fold. They are heavy and will not stop a pistol round. They are designed to keep the upper body relatively safe from shrapnel but are not bullet proof by any means.

Maybe at least three of these, each in a separate physical location:

i893.photobucket.com_albums_ac131_fd57_Ammo_ammo31mar2012.jpg

I'm fairly new to owning my own guns, just recently got an old Czech 9mm from a second-cousin once removed (ya...), and inherited a browning 20 ga, a remington 706 (I believe) it's a .35, and recently just bought a glock 36 & ruger LCP for my wife. I have 3 boxes of ammo for each and about 6 for the .45, so not much...yet.

Quick question: Assuming the environment isn't terrible (deep, dark leaky cellar), how long or do bullets expire, or go bad?

I'm fairly new to owning my own guns, just recently got an old Czech 9mm from a second-cousin once removed (ya...), and inherited a browning 20 ga, a remington 706 (I believe) it's a .35, and recently just bought a glock 36 & ruger LCP for my wife. I have 3 boxes of ammo for each and about 6 for the .45, so not much...yet.

Quick question: Assuming the environment isn't terrible (deep, dark leaky cellar), how long or do bullets expire, or go bad?

I've shot Greek surplus .30-06 that was from the 1950's... no problems with it.

I've also shot .22LR that sat in the bottom of my Dad's gun cabinet since about 1990. The .22 made fairly terribly smoke clouds when I shot it and sounded like "bang, bang, pop, bang, even quieter pop." Pretty inconsistent. That gun safe was in the living room of a house that was air conditioned and definitely not humid- well, standard Georgia indoor humidity.

If you have to leave w gear and ammo, what are you guys wearing?? Those $1100 vests are nice but I like the price of mil surp flack jackets. A bit heavier but cheap enough to outfit 3-4 people. What do you guys think? I hear they defeat pistol rounds without trouble

Since this thread has been brought back to life... I have shot a flak jacket with .22LR, .22 Mag, 9mm, .357, and .45 ACP- none of those rounds penetrated more than two or three layers of the nylon lining. I've used both ball and HP ammo.

Now .223 on the other hand went right through the front and back panels of the jacket. So pistol ammo, it's going to leave a hell of a bruise and possibly some cracked ribs, but I don't think the bullet will penentrate. And as for rifle ammo, the guy standing behind you is still in danger.

Back
Top Bottom