• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much ammo

Definitely. That amount even brings up the question of are we going to be in a position to maintain our guns. Lugging 5k rounds of .22 around and no cleaning kit might not be a good idea.

That is why you should have a 10/22 those things can go forever.........

When I started this thread the intent was to discuss the amount of ammunition you think would actually be necessary. For natural disasters, probably none or maybe a pocketful if things were really bad. Other economic type collapses could take longer to sort out.

^Seems logical, but with 300 rounds do you think you would need a cleaning kit? Maybe if it's a Taurus......
If it's a SHTF situation, you don't know where you will be, could have to traverse mud and swampy situations, and after that I'd want to make sure everything is as clean as possible, so if I need to make a tight shot, I can do so.

If it's a SHTF situation, you don't know where you will be, could have to traverse mud and swampy situations, and after that I'd want to make sure everything is as clean as possible, so if I need to make a tight shot, I can do so.

In a shtf situation you'd have to kill me to get me outta my house.

Ammo shelf life questions come up all the time. The universally accepted answer is that if the ammunition is consistently stored in a cool dry environment, it will last at least someones lifetime. Personally I think it would be good for several lifetimes.

For defense, 1k for your main rifle should be more than enough. For hunting and food gathering a good varity of calibers starting with 22s. In most of the Likely situations (economic collapse, natural disaster, solar flare/emp) there will be a time of craziness but it will end one way or the other. If you have fired 1k rounds from your home you are in an out and out war. But with who? Civilians would be dead and unlikely to try anything else when there are much less dangerous places to lot from. Fighting against trained forces history has proven to be suicide in most cases. If you were on foot 400-500 is a lot of weight, I would not carry much ammo for the side arm either maybe 50 rounds. A rifle is so much better I would rather have the extra rifle ammo and leave the side arm to a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom