• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home internet / WiFi hotspots - 4G Community

Spiderman11

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
109   0
Reaction score
So short version of the story, my home area is only serviced by Windstream for internet. After 3 verified appointments that the technician was a no-show on and fairy tales about my area currently being "upgraded", I finally spoke to someone who at least gave me a version of the truth. There is no room in the box to connect to and they have no idea when/if I will ever be able to get service. Add that to everyone that I know that has it hates it - $50+/month - probably best that they can't hook me up - I'd be mad either way.

So - I'm stuck with outrageously expensive satellite based internet or a hotspot/cell phone tower based 4G LTE service. Everything I found has pretty low data caps and/or very expensive so really not much better then just using my cell phone . . . until I found this service - 4G Community . From what I can tell it runs off Sprint 4G LTE which according to the map has great service at my house, no data cap due to a loophole in their contract, and no throttling.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Probably should have asked this first - but I went ahead and purchased it - turns out to be just over $20/month and that includes the purchase of the hotspot http://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store. After the first year it's $14/month.

Anyway - hope I didn't get scammed - I'm out of other viable options for internet at my house. 14 day return period so I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure what area you live in but up here in toccoa there is Gunby communications. From what I hear it's great for the price and great service

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So short version of the story, my home area is only serviced by Windstream for internet. After 3 verified appointments that the technician was a no-show on and fairy tales about my area currently being "upgraded", I finally spoke to someone who at least gave me a version of the truth. There is no room in the box to connect to and they have no idea when/if I will ever be able to get service. Add that to everyone that I know that has it hates it - $50+/month - probably best that they can't hook me up - I'd be mad either way.

So - I'm stuck with outrageously expensive satellite based internet or a hotspot/cell phone tower based 4G LTE service. Everything I found has pretty low data caps and/or very expensive so really not much better then just using my cell phone . . . until I found this service - 4G Community . From what I can tell it runs off Sprint 4G LTE which according to the map has great service at my house, no data cap due to a loophole in their contract, and no throttling.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Probably should have asked this first - but I went ahead and purchased it - turns out to be just over $20/month and that includes the purchase of the hotspot http://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store. After the first year it's $14/month.

Anyway - hope I didn't get scammed - I'm out of other viable options for internet at my house. 14 day return period so I guess we'll see.

That sounds promising. 4G LTE is pretty quick, and can compete with many dedicated speeds. If you can get LTE speed, you'll be very happy.

Yeah... just from what I could find it looks promising .. . Curious as to whether the ping rate will be fast enough to use Xbox one on it. Regardless, I'll test out that data cap when I get ot - battlefield one is quite a large download . . Lol

I also have crappy net. Only one provider and max 12mb/s. Sucks for household of electronic gadgets that use the internet.

So for a quick update. Received my box from 4GCommunity yesterday. I purchased the $250/yr plan which ships with a Sprint branded Franklin R850 hotspot. Plugged it in and powered it up (can use wall adapter or battery power) and have 2 bars of Sprint LTE signal. Currently speeds running roughly around 15/mbps which is not great, but much better then nothing. Compared to my mother's house which has Windstream - she gets on average 1.5/mbps - when it works - this is probably better then I could do with them. As far as the data caps - I downloaded Battlefield on my Xbox One last night which was 46gb or something like that. Hotspot is still kicking and data still rolling at a steady speed. Have another game downloading now so after 100gb or so we should know one way or the other. I'll give another update later on to confirm I'm not throttled down or something but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom