• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could you turn off your phone and walk away from the internet

hold on here....when I retire, which will be soon...I fully expect to be an internet junkie!!! I plan on bothering any/and everybody I know...including my grandchildren!!!
Please get on facebook and like everyone one of their pictures and misspell a comment on most of them. This is what my mom does to my daughter who is in college. We joke about it at my house.

MY phone is on 24/7 but the only reason is because of my boy. Nothing else is as important. Desk top is for fun.
Im impressed you can be on the ODT and make as many post as you do and not visit from your phone.

Maybe a little different direction . . .

It used to be very common to stopover at a friend or neighbor’s house unannounced. Maybe you go inside and sit on the couch, maybe just in the yard or on the porch. I think that’s probably bad etiquette today for many, but I still don’t mind. I wonder if we’ll get to the point someone will hear a line in an old movie like “I was in the neighborhood so I decided to stop by and say ‘hello’” and the viewer will need an explanation for the strange behavior.

Another change of etiquette that is, to me, a little strange is that many people consider it rude to call someone without first sending a text message.

We’re kind of screening our lives via smartphone and curbing more direct interaction.
I have some of the greatest neighbors ever yet 95% of our interaction is through text. I had not really thought about it. I mean we all like one another and do business with one another and we can literally borrow a tractor or go in and get eggs from the fridge even if no one is home but we rarely visit.

Reactions: GFB
Maybe a little different direction . . .

It used to be very common to stopover at a friend or neighbor’s house unannounced. Maybe you go inside and sit on the couch, maybe just in the yard or on the porch. I think that’s probably bad etiquette today for many, but I still don’t mind. I wonder if we’ll get to the point someone will hear a line in an old movie like “I was in the neighborhood so I decided to stop by and say ‘hello’” and the viewer will need an explanation for the strange behavior.

Another change of etiquette that is, to me, a little strange is that many people consider it rude to call someone without first sending a text message.

We’re kind of screening our lives via smartphone and curbing more direct interaction.
There’s several on here that still welcomes surprise visitors. But, yes Sir, things have changed.

Reactions: GFB
If I ever retire I will have a home phone and a answer machine. Leave a message at the beeeeep
AMEN!! That is exactly what I do. My wife hates I won't answer the phone. I tell her I have people......LOL......Most of the time, it's a waste of time and effort.....If she wants to waste her time and effort, go for it.....She doesn't like it, that's on her

remember when you could get an UNLISTED number......
took my home line out several years ago...could not take the CONSTANT political calls....it's now getting just as bad on my cell phone....I block 2-3 numbers a day....texts are now worse than calls...
Yep and they're both bad. You ain't already in my phone I probably won't answer it unless I'm expecting an important call.

ODT is pretty much for me as well. The GPS I could not do without. Also shopping for gun parts and looking up load data is a must. Pretty much any kind of information I need is very convenient. I do join gun related sites for sweepstakes and the like but only visit to get the extra entries. I keep my ringer off but it's nice to have if and when I have a breakdown or whatnot. I mean if the whole phone system went down for everyone I wouldn't have a kaniption but it is helpful in a lot of ways. Facebook and all that other jive turkey nonsense can take a dive in a sea of s*** as far as I am concerned!

Back
Top Bottom