• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could you turn off your phone and walk away from the internet

My whole work life is based around the internet, and I'm a user in leisure and spare hours. I've avoided social media and systems that federate data about me, so my Google product usage is both minimal, and not tied to an ID. I use a VPN, I manage my own email identity. I avoid "useful systems that give you stuff for free", because the cost to you is the elimination of your privacy.

If someone wanted to identify me, they could, but I don't appear in any searches. There are few photos of me online (well, up until some of the ODT events and I can live with that). When I finally retire, I'll still be online a lot, but even more obscure. And I want it that way.

My only social media presence is LinkedIn (which I hate) but it's where my resume is for job changes. I have no 'connections' on there, and don't intend to have any.

i was having an actual face to face conversation with a friend who is a member here. I mentioned the ODT and he said he had not been on in a while. At that point it just blew my mind and I was a little jealous. I asked him what he did to waste time and he just laughed

Im just curious. I know there is a variety of folks here. I know personally my screen time is pretty high and almost embarrassing. I know there are some who don't even carry a cellphone or those who only cut it on to make a call but also those who are on ours constantly. I know some only access forums from computers. I find I scroll while on hold and such at work and when Im home I just mindlessly scroll here and other forums and the book. For me picking up my phone or check on my computer is a lot like lighting a cigarette when i was a smoker. I didnt even realize what I was doing and didnt really want a cigarette I just did. Could you walk away from social media (including forums) and if so what would you do with your time?
One of my bosses actually keeps YouTube going through earbuds the whole time we're working. It's SUCH a huge distraction and it winds up screwing up shirts we print more often than it should. Meanwhile I have Pandora on shuffle over Bluetooth so me and other boss can listen to music. But Pandora is about as repetitive as FM and I would much rather listen to talk radio.
But yeah some people just can't put it down. It gets really aggravating.
Meanwhile me and the wife are buying print media along with DVDs and CDs for when it all goes down OR when everything WE like gets cancelled.

One of my bosses actually keeps YouTube going through earbuds the whole time we're working. It's SUCH a huge distraction and it winds up screwing up shirts we print more often than it should. Meanwhile I have Pandora on shuffle over Bluetooth so me and other boss can listen to music. But Pandora is about as repetitive as FM and I would much rather listen to talk radio.
Meanwhile me and the wife are buying print media along with DVDs and CDs for when it all goes down OR when everything WE like gets cancelled.
One word.

Audiobooks.

Edit: Why? Because most youtube videos' audio tracks can never remove the need for a visual channel. The content is written differently. I got through the whole set of 19 and a half novels of Patrick O'Brian's "Aubrey/Maturin" series in about 8 months when I was doing mostly manual labor back in 2016. Those were solid entertainment that originated in print (good series too, I might add).

Having the internet is a great convenience no doubt, I still pay a few local bills with a check and walking into the business. My wife asks why not pay that online? As much as I hate a lot of people, I still like a few. lol I think the advent of the internet has killed social skills in people. Can I give it up? I guess when Big Brother shuts it off for us being non compliant we will suck it up and continue on. Someone write me a letter to let me know when they find a deal, I'll jump on my horse and go get it. Maybe pay with some home canned brandy pears and a chicken.
This is real the rest is BS

I’d kill every earbud in the world if I could. My wife started earbudding about a year ago and now (5mins ago matter of fact) I have to hear bull all the time cause “Are you listening to me??” ; I’m like “Heck, I thought you were talking on the buds” and how dare I start talking like a normal husband does when her podCast is on.. she don’t hear nothing. I’m starting to get used to it now and I think that pisses her off too lol. Idk?? getting to idc haha.

Reactions: GFB
There's no need to be wearing both earbuds for a frickin' podcast.

Even one impacts your situational awareness somewhat. Both is ... I'll say it ... retarded.

I’d kill every earbud in the world if I could. My wife started earbudding about a year ago and now (5mins ago matter of fact) I have to hear bull all the time cause “Are you listening to me??” ; I’m like “Heck, I thought you were talking on the buds” and how dare I start talking like a normal husband does when her podCast is on.. she don’t hear nothing. I’m starting to get used to it now and I think that pisses her off too lol. Idk?? getting to idc haha.
I’m thankful for earbuds. I wish everyone had a pir especially children. I hate to hear what others are watching or listening to in public.
There's no need to be wearing both earbuds for a frickin' podcast.

Even one impacts your situational awareness somewhat. Both is ... I'll say it ... retarded.
No doubt my kids are good about this. I’ve always pressed this especially my kid who is in college.
Exactly. Now, come on over and tell her. Bahahahaha
It’s ok she would not hear us if we did

Back
Top Bottom