• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

Thanks for the info, next purchase will probably be a 40 S&W. Got the 9mm for the wife, she has MS, and the recoil on anything bigger hurts her. Me on the other hand, the bigger the bore, the better I like it. 1911 .45 for me.....oh yeah, and the old cowboy standby .45 long colt. Cor-Bon 300gr. JSP @ 1300fps out of an old Ruger Vaquero, that's my hand cannon! lol! New Vaqueros can't handle that round.

Personally I'm stocked on ammo as is so I'll go with my two favorites. Swiss K31 (comfortable out to 800m) and my everyday carry gun a PA-63. I'm proficient with both, have quality berdan primed ammo (less likely to fail after being in storage), and ammo isn't unheard of (Wally world no, but almost every gun store I've been in has 9x18mm Mak...plus they're never sold out). It doesn't matter how big your gun is or how much ammo you can carry if you're not comfortable with you firearms. Only thing I can think of to add would maybe be a Ruger Mk. II silenced (for small game hunting as mentioned above, its low maintenance factor, and weight).

Me on the other hand, the bigger the bore, the better I like it. 1911 .45 for me.....oh yeah, and the old cowboy standby .45 long colt. Cor-Bon 300gr. JSP @ 1300fps out of an old Ruger Vaquero, that's my hand cannon! lol! New Vaqueros can't handle that round.

Tony, you are gonna love Tburnham and his 500 S&W!

Yeah, I used to play softball with his dad & grandad. Good fellers, so I'm sure the apple don't fall far from the tree, know what I mean Vern?

Someone probably makes the conversions.
Caution, always convert smaller with glock. Case in point: .357 glocks are reinforsed to handle the extra pressure. The .40s are not reinforsed. While you can convert them it would not be safe to do so.
Sigs on the other hand are manufacture to the same specifications whether 9mm .357 or 40.

I used to have a Sig in .357 Sig, I'm still kickin' myself for selling that one!

Good topic you guyz got here. I suppose if we are footing it, me & my gal will be wearing GLOCK 22's with 3 clips each & with a couple 100 extra rounds, along with a couple of AR's with six clips with maybe a 2000 rounds, one Beowulf .50 cal. with maybe 100 rounds. and a 12 gauge shotgun with 100 rounds . Between our gear, water, and all this artillary, we'll have us a two wheel game cart to pull some of this load as far as we are able to do so! Naturally if we have to ditch the cart, we'll definately have to rethink how much weight we want to deal with...I pray we never see this day!

Why would anyone want to BO to the mountains is beyond me.

1) Difficult to navigate with any accuracy. Terrain can be your worst enemy. Not having a working knowledge of mountainous terrain can and is the downfall of far too many expeditions in the past, and this would be folly for newcomers trying to survive in unfamiliar territory. With extreme weather conditions thrown into the mix, a bug out to the mountains would be a recipe for failure.

2) More population in the mountainous areas of Georgia than the rest of the state already.

3) Historically unfriendly locals. Anyone see "Deliverance"? While you may not get told to squeal like a pig, you can get shot at right now for just having a flat tire in someones driveway. Non natives have already worn out their welcome, thanks to the socks and sandals crowd. A rash increase of people would inflame an already volitale situation, and cause internal conflict within the surviving populace. The plan is to stay a "grey man" and not be seen. It would be difficult to stay "grey" in areas where every one knows every one, or is related to them.

4) Lack of resources. There is afraction of natural resources available in the mountains than there is in middle and south Georgia. More game, more fish, more wild edible plants, longer growing seasons etc...the middle and southern parts of the state invite more availability of all of these things, but the mountains barely sustain the already burgeoning populace now.

5) Land availability. The middle counties, and the southern counties, have more uninhabitated lands than do the mountains by probably twice as much. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi river, but with one of the largest populations in the southeast. (Florida exempt) Should a segment of this population suddenly migrate north to the mountains, the population density wold triple exponentially in a day, resulting in the creation of the very problem those souls were fleeing. Dispersement of the masses is the concept, but compaction of the masses would be the result of bugging out to the mountains.

Someone probably makes the conversions.
Caution, always convert smaller with glock. Case in point: .357 glocks are reinforsed to handle the extra pressure. The .40s are not reinforsed. While you can convert them it would not be safe to do so.
Sigs on the other hand are manufacture to the same specifications whether 9mm .357 or 40.

How are the 40 and 357 glocks any differant dimensionally? I am not aware of any differances except caliber. Just interested in knowing if you have a source or are just speculateing. I shoot 9mm and 357 sig out of my glock 40s with never a problem. Dimensionally they are identical to their .357 sig brothers.

Four in my family. All have 1911 45s. Two have AR 15s in 5.56 and two have AKs. All have LOTS of ammo (several thousand rounds each). We have different loads for different uses for the rifles. A bolt .308 for long stuff. It's a light weight tactical, but is loaded to stay supersonic past 1000 yards. The bullet is a good one for anti personnel or hunting. For extra long reach we have a 338. It's a light weight bolt gun, so it will transport easily and looks like a hunting rifle, but with the 300 grain Berger Hybrid bullet, it is supersonic to about 1800 yards. The down side on the 338 is that, because of the light barrel, it heats up fast and we only get about five accurate shots. It goes from .35 MOA to 1.25 MOA. It will still keep there head down after it heats and can still be used for anti equipment.
As you see, five of the six rifles shoot easy to get military ammo. I can't bring myself to use 9s for side arms. I just don't think they have enough WHACK for CQB and that is where a handgun is going to be used. We all use 1911s because I think it is a great design and for interchangeable parts.

Why would anyone want to BO to the mountains is beyond me.

1) Difficult to navigate with any accuracy. Terrain can be your worst enemy. Not having a working knowledge of mountainous terrain can and is the downfall of far too many expeditions in the past, and this would be folly for newcomers trying to survive in unfamiliar territory. With extreme weather conditions thrown into the mix, a bug out to the mountains would be a recipe for failure.

2) More population in the mountainous areas of Georgia than the rest of the state already.

3) Historically unfriendly locals. Anyone see "Deliverance"? While you may not get told to squeal like a pig, you can get shot at right now for just having a flat tire in someones driveway. Non natives have already worn out their welcome, thanks to the socks and sandals crowd. A rash increase of people would inflame an already volitale situation, and cause internal conflict within the surviving populace. The plan is to stay a "grey man" and not be seen. It would be difficult to stay "grey" in areas where every one knows every one, or is related to them.

4) Lack of resources. There is afraction of natural resources available in the mountains than there is in middle and south Georgia. More game, more fish, more wild edible plants, longer growing seasons etc...the middle and southern parts of the state invite more availability of all of these things, but the mountains barely sustain the already burgeoning populace now.

5) Land availability. The middle counties, and the southern counties, have more uninhabitated lands than do the mountains by probably twice as much. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi river, but with one of the largest populations in the southeast. (Florida exempt) Should a segment of this population suddenly migrate north to the mountains, the population density wold triple exponentially in a day, resulting in the creation of the very problem those souls were fleeing. Dispersement of the masses is the concept, but compaction of the masses would be the result of bugging out to the mountains.

Something to think about for sure! A lot of us are on the north side of Atl and heading north seems to be the only thing that makes since. Heading into Atl would not be the smartest thing for us to do. I agree with middle GA being better for game and planting, and now I have to make a plan/route for a southern location. Thank you for throwing a big fat monkey wrench in my well thought out plans. I guess better now than then. Great discussion.

Keep in mind, military calibers 9MM, 5.56, 7.62x51, 50BMG, 12GA-local police dpts 40S&W. I'm just say'n.

Back
Top Bottom