• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
When or if you have to rely on your guns to get you thru to the safety(relatively speaking) of your chosen groups pre-selected post apocalyptic bivouac, which makes more sense to you:

Handguns

A) you and the wife are toting the same caliber handguns to share ammo(ie 9mm for all guns);

B) you are carrying different calibers to maxamize versatility and be able to scavenge whenever possible allowing you to use ANY ammo you may find(ie .45 primary with .40 backup for me, .40 primary with .380 backup for her and 9MM conversion for the .40's)?

Long guns:

A)Assault style with greater capacity and better defensive capabilities(AK or AR), or;

B) A more hunting oriented rifle, sacrificing capacity and speed for better hunting specialization?

Well, I guess either platform is capable of either application.

One caliber with a metric boat ton of ammo. Keep some at the house, keep some at work, keep some in the car, keep some at a friends house, keep some in storage.

As far as long guns, it depends on your area, more urban area with denser population equals high capacity magazines and carbine length...ie AR or AK. More rural area with longer shots, I'd rather have a bolt gun. By longer shots I mean 500 yards plus. Under 500 yards an AR with magnified optics would be acceptable as well with 75/77 gr ammo.

Im still gonna be shooting my FN Five Seven and its likely Ill never stop singing its praises.

-Full Size yet Super Light (same weight loaded with 21 rds as a Glock 26 loaded with 10 rounds)
-High Capacity (21 rds)
-100% reliable
-More simple than a Glock
-Controllable (recoil like a .22 magnum)
-Accurate to 125+ yards

...And you can carry a boat load more ammo than any other centerfire cartridge. 50 rds, literally, fit in the PALM of your hand and I have small hands (5'7" 135 lbs):

i38.tinypic.com_2drgig4.jpg

One of the reasons I like the Sig P250 is because I can change caliber in about 30 seconds. Having 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP means I should be able to shoot what I find.

[Broken External Image]:

Also like the combination of the Beretta Px4 pistol and Cx4 carbine because they share high-cap magazines. Can't believe I might sell this...WTF am I thinking?:noidea:

[Broken External Image]:

Get a glock 22/23 and the drop in barrels for 40 to 9 and .357 sig from Lone Wolf and you're just as good(better in my opinion) as the sig 250 with less money down the drain.

I'm gravitating towards 2 glocks, one each for the Mrs. and me. For me the 30 (.45 acp) with the barrel and 2 mags to make it 10MM capable. For the wife the 27(40 S&W) with the barrel and 2 mags to make it 9MM. Then for backups, my Kahr pm 40 for me and the wifes TCP .380 for her. With just the conversion barrels and 2 mags I get 4 calibers for nominal weight and max versatility. Out backups are lightweight and compact. In total that's 5 calibers.

Burdy, I admit I know nothing about the 5.7 x 28, but I do know I have never seen them on the shelf at walmart(and never noticed them at the gun shops). You may want to re-think the availablilty issue for post SHTF scenarios. Oh, and "more simple than a Glock"? Really? I thought one of the major design pros of the Glock was that it don't get much simpler.

I am even beginning to re-think the AK decision. 5.56/.223 may have been a wiser choice from a scavenged ammo perspective. I may be parting with my AK after I think about this a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom