• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

Anyone who hasn't jumped on the 5.45x39 bandwagon needs to do some serious research. You can buy thousands of rounds for 9 cents per round.
Even if it isn't sold everywhere one could just stock up now while it's cheap. Between that, and .22lr my rifle ammo is handled.
For close quarters my benelli m4 should make a nice hole if need be. I love my 10mm pistols, but for SHTF, 9mm is a lot lighter, and
plentiful. Since i live in an urban enviroment i'm not too concerned with my big hoss calibers at the moment, and will plan on the lighter ammo
and firearms.

Get a glock 22/23 and the drop in barrels for 40 to 9 and .357 sig from Lone Wolf and you're just as good(better in my opinion) as the sig 250 with less money down the drain.

How good are the drop in barrels? I have been giving this some thought.

back on topic:

7.62 x 39

Lots of it :)

Last edited:
I've got the 9mm drop in for my Glock 27 and it fits and functions perfectly. Planning to buy the 10MM for my Glock 30 soon.

My crew will be mostly using .223, 7.62x39,7.62x51 for rifles....although we do have a member with a 50BMG with lots of ammo just in case. Pistol rounds will mostly be .40 and .45......some 9mm. And of course 00Buck in the shotty's. My personal weapons will be .45acp pistol(XD & 1911) for side arm and AR platform for my carry rifle. The calibers I first listed with exception of the fitty cal will be what we carry on us. The fitty cal will probably be used to "deter" would be threats at a distance. Some of the heavy weapons will be used to keep our "base" secure if any of our guarded and patrolled outer perimeters were breached.

BINGO!! Sounds like the only difference between your friends and mine is mileage LOL!! I will always stick with the military calibers. I like the 5.7 and will never try to argue how great the round is. I will however point out (again) that the 5.7 is not readily available.

I too have switched from the Glock 9mm's to the 40cal's and ordered Lonewolf conversion barrels for them. Joe (from all countries) carries 9mm,223,308,50BMG. law enforcement carry 40S&W. these rounds are being produced at a much higher rate than any other rnd in the U.S.

As for how much weight to carry. You had better have a plan in place now with a "go to" location as well as a back up location. I like the idea of placing stuff at your "go to" location(s) as well as in storage areas on the way to those locations. Just look for the places that would be easy to get into when power is out (chain and lock gate not automatic gate).

I love this site, I think I'll send out aluminum hats for everyone. My size is 7 1/2"

Another thing to think about...
Do you have weapons for others in your family?
Weapons that are easy to use (just point and shoot), easy to clean?
There's safety in numbers, but only if they are also armed.

Just sayin'. Oh, and my hat is kevlar :)

Another thing to think about...
Do you have weapons for others in your family?
Weapons that are easy to use (just point and shoot), easy to clean?
There's safety in numbers, but only if they are also armed.

Just sayin'. Oh, and my hat is kevlar :)

That's the only reason I stick with the Glock and AR. My kids can already strip both and my wife will out shoot most SWAT members when clearing a house (been done in training more than once).

My youngest shoots a real AR 22 and my little girl shoots the AR in 9mm, she's already benching my 223 ar targets out to 500 meters (I call the wind, she does the drop).

And my hat is aluminum with a Kevlar lining ;):painkiller:

I guess I'm the exception here. My ideal SHTF weapons would be a silenced 10/22 and a high-cap 9mm. The .22 would allow for discrete hunting. No, it won't have the immediate knock-down, but it will get the job done on most animals (and people, too) if need be. The 9mm would be for last-ditch self defense. My thinking is that if I'm getting into a major firefight with folks, the fights mostly lost before it starts.

An alternate pistol would be a Blackhawk with both 9mm and .357 cylinders. That covers the two most common pistol calibers, and it's a lot easier to reload when you don't have to chase your brass.

Back
Top Bottom