• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

Despite the very slim chance anyone will be scavenging any ammo post-SHTF (unless you are raiding other people and/or looting, which is neither here nor there), I still went with standard US military calibers for everything in the off-chance I might run into some "supplies" somewhere. 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51, 12ga.

Burdy, I admit I know nothing about the 5.7 x 28, but I do know I have never seen them on the shelf at walmart(and never noticed them at the gun shops). You may want to re-think the availablilty issue for post SHTF scenarios. Oh, and "more simple than a Glock"? Really? I thought one of the major design pros of the Glock was that it don't get much simpler.

Your right, not at Walmart yet. Both gun shops here in Calhoun carry it though, and they are always in stock (probably b/c nobody but me is buying the stuff) even when out of everything else. I'm making the assumption i have enough ammo. I don't find it likely you will stay alive long enough to shoot up more than 1 case. As for the "more simple" part, in a field strip it is 4 parts to Glocks 5. On a complete tear down, I honestly do not know, but I will try and find out.

Jsquared - I think maybe I'm looking at SHTF diff than you. I'm thinking about long-term survival in a vacuum of goverment. If it's only a few days/weeks of societal breakdown, fine. But if its months or longer then there is the distinct possibility that you may have to rely on what you can carry/scavenge. As for looting, well if it all goes to hell, I will scavenge from defunct stores if I have to to keep my family alive. I'm not talking about "Oh its a hurricane! Grab all ya can!" or " Can't get no justice from the courts! Break the windows and steal all you can!" LOOTING, I'm talking about "DC was nuked, zombies on the horizon, gotta leave the heavy stuff at home and head for the hills, grab what will keep you alive for the longest!" scavenging.

I'm trying to prepare NOW so that doesn't become a necessity but the duration of disorder may make it impossible to stretch your supplies. Not to mention if you get forced out of your nest you will be forced to leave your cache behind. I've got a basement that is 3/4 underground. I could probably live in it with no sign of habitation from the outside and I'm far enough out of town that few would even think to look. But I'd have to leave for water and food and that means potentially leading zombies home. Then what? Pack to travel. 1000 rounds of ammo is great to have but a B!&*# to carry.

Burdy - Sounds like you have planned well and cached more than adequately. I mentioned above the possibility of being "rousted". In that case I have tried to pack 200-300 rounds for the handguns and another 200 for the long gun. With the added requirements to the pack it is way too heavy. I can't imagine packing a case of ammo. But with alternate barrel/magazine setups(1 barrel, 3 empty mags) I can see scavenging and switching to the prevailing supply if needed. As for staying alive long enough to shoot a case, well I hope we live a good long while even if we never fire a single shot.

Good question. I'm think for me it will be as much as I can carry without causing more danger by slowing me down than it protects me from. Also 200 rounds of .45 add a lot more weight than 200 rds of 9MM. A lot of variables to consider starting with the scenario. Short term, vs long term, hunker down vs rondezvous with a group, civil unrest vs foreign invasion, hunt and fish from the woods, vs scavenge the burbs....so many possible variables.

I'm reading LOTS, especially the posts you guys make here and trying to formulate a strategy that will provide maximum survivability for the most extreme possibility. I think that will serve best in the less extreme situations as well. Iffen it DO hit the fan, I think you guys will be the best possible allies to turn to. The posts about pack weights and inventory suggestions are VERY helpful. My packs are evolving from monstrosities to workable tools, but I am having such a hard time trimming the list down. Ammo is one of my top priorities, but it is also the heaviest comodity you can lug around.

When we talk about looting, I can't help but think of things I think I may HAVE to loot if things go very long without order being restored. Salt, vitamins, medical supplies, maybe tents/camping equipment, basic or seasonal clothing and yes ammunition. If it is a long term problem then seeds to begin a vegetable garden would pop to the top levels of the list. The mind boggles at the plethora of possible needs, depending on the severity and duration of the S that HTF.

i think a perfect set up in my eyes would be spread amongst the group im with .... an ar57,a fn five seven short barreled ar15 upper in a pack another person would have a mossberg 500/ remington 870 12 gauge and glock 17

the reasons i chose those were because the 5.7 round is small easy to hoof a bunch around if you could stock pile it
and like burdy said ..the five seven pistol is capable at rifle like distances ..so you could hypothetically take game with it

and i ofcourse chose 223 12 gauge and 9mm because its plentiful ...i mean have you ever went to a gun store or sporting goods shop that didnt have all three , not to mention they are used by the military sooo surplus

OK here's the deal I have set up 2 BOB,Sawed off 500 with 100 rounds,folding stock 10-22 w/1500 rounds,45ACp with 200 rounds.MRES,first aid kit,space blanket.I am working on the weight now.Can't really decide on the amount of ammo.

you can never carry enough ammo. Ever. 5.7 is ok, just like everything else, until you run out of ammo. You will not make it on your own.... for long...

Got to sleep sometime...

My crew will be mostly using .223, 7.62x39,7.62x51 for rifles....although we do have a member with a 50BMG with lots of ammo just in case. Pistol rounds will mostly be .40 and .45......some 9mm. And of course 00Buck in the shotty's. My personal weapons will be .45acp pistol(XD & 1911) for side arm and AR platform for my carry rifle. The calibers I first listed with exception of the fitty cal will be what we carry on us. The fitty cal will probably be used to "deter" would be threats at a distance. Some of the heavy weapons will be used to keep our "base" secure if any of our guarded and patrolled outer perimeters were breached.

Back
Top Bottom