• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

I guess I'm the exception here. My ideal SHTF weapons would be a silenced 10/22 and a high-cap 9mm. The .22 would allow for discrete hunting. No, it won't have the immediate knock-down, but it will get the job done on most animals (and people, too) if need be. The 9mm would be for last-ditch self defense. My thinking is that if I'm getting into a major firefight with folks, the fights mostly lost before it starts.

An alternate pistol would be a Blackhawk with both 9mm and .357 cylinders. That covers the two most common pistol calibers, and it's a lot easier to reload when you don't have to chase your brass.

There is a lot of good common sense here in this post. I agree with you for the most part. Good choices.

Most all my stuff is .40, 9mm, .223, .308 and 12ga. I get .40 for free, so for pistols and pistol carbines, it's my go to. Might as well be. In this area, not too many times a 100+ yard shot will be needed, but have the capability if so. Bolt gun and a pistol caliber carbine + pistol in same caliber using same mags...

I guess I'm the exception here. My ideal SHTF weapons would be a silenced 10/22 and a high-cap 9mm. The .22 would allow for discrete hunting. No, it won't have the immediate knock-down, but it will get the job done on most animals (and people, too) if need be. The 9mm would be for last-ditch self defense. My thinking is that if I'm getting into a major firefight with folks, the fights mostly lost before it starts.

An alternate pistol would be a Blackhawk with both 9mm and .357 cylinders. That covers the two most common pistol calibers, and it's a lot easier to reload when you don't have to chase your brass.

I like the idea of a silenced .22!!! Stealth mode baby!!!!! But if I am getting into a fire fight I want a big caliber.

I carry the .40, 12ga pistol grip in a scabbard on my pack, and my AR. The wife carries a 9mm and a 12ga also. I've thought alot about how much ammo to carry also. Considering it is important, but it does weigh the most. Since both me and my wife would be carrying packs, i can split the ammo between us. My plan is to hole up in the house for a few days, then leave to a more permanent place spending one night in the woods... maybe. The one night in the woods depends. Getting to the SC/GA border only takes 2 hours. but with traffic, it could take 8 hours.

I carry the .40, 12ga pistol grip in a scabbard on my pack, and my AR. The wife carries a 9mm and a 12ga also. I've thought alot about how much ammo to carry also. Considering it is important, but it does weigh the most. Since both me and my wife would be carrying packs, i can split the ammo between us. My plan is to hole up in the house for a few days, then leave to a more permanent place spending one night in the woods... maybe. The one night in the woods depends. Getting to the SC/GA border only takes 2 hours. but with traffic, it could take 8 hours.

How long will it take on foot, is what really matters.

I working that out the next couple of weeks with someone i met on here to go over mapping and distances. I don't know at this point but i will find out for sure.

When or if you have to rely on your guns to get you thru to the safety(relatively speaking) of your chosen groups pre-selected post apocalyptic bivouac, which makes more sense to you:

Handguns

A) you and the wife are toting the same caliber handguns to share ammo(ie 9mm for all guns);

B) you are carrying different calibers to maxamize versatility and be able to scavenge whenever possible allowing you to use ANY ammo you may find(ie .45 primary with .40 backup for me, .40 primary with .380 backup for her and 9MM conversion for the .40's)?

Long guns:

A)Assault style with greater capacity and better defensive capabilities(AK or AR), or;

B) A more hunting oriented rifle, sacrificing capacity and speed for better hunting specialization?

Well, I guess either platform is capable of either application.

Easy fellows, big brother is watching, listening, reading......

Someone probably makes the conversions.
Caution, always convert smaller with glock. Case in point: .357 glocks are reinforsed to handle the extra pressure. The .40s are not reinforsed. While you can convert them it would not be safe to do so.
Sigs on the other hand are manufacture to the same specifications whether 9mm .357 or 40.

Back
Top Bottom