• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get Home Bag inventory

Drop the tennis shoes for boots.
wicking socks.
Add lip balm. great for chapped lips, chaffed parts and put it on eye brows to prevent sweat in your eyes.
trade red bandanna for yellow. higher visibility.
get a backpack that doesn't look tactical. stealth first. show of force last.
get a map and plan four routes. plan for the longest.
any needed meds.
poncho
emergency blanket.
ball cap/watch cap
you got a great list going.

personally i'd probably get rid of the hammock. Not worth the weight and space IMHO. I have slept in them plenty but if I were trying to get home in a hurry, I'd be more likely to just pull out the bivy bag and snuggle up on the ground. use the backpack as a pad underneath me if it's colder or pile up some leaves and crawl into that with the bivy and you'll be good to go, not to mention camoflaged. :)

I agree with boots vs. shoes. if you plan to go on paved roads or right of ways, the running shoes would be nice, but with a pack and anything off pavement, a pair of sturdy hiking boots or hiking shoes would be the ticket. plus get ones that are waterproof and that helps a lot. you'd be amazed at how wet your feet can get just from a heavy dew in the morning.

X2 on this ^^-always go waterproof when you can!

I wouldn't drop the trioxane. If it is wet out there you might need it. The dehydration from a little coffee won't be significant, I mean unless you have to run for miles with Dog the bounty hunter chasing you. Seriously, guys eat and drink it all the time with no real issues, just be cognizant of how much water you have.

Are you guys kidding me! You got the right ideas as far as requirements, i.e. food and shelter but what about navigation. Your execution sucks!
And carry a battle rifle?Good grief! If I came across you in a hammock, I'd roll you up in it like a body bag and then start asking questions. The whole idea is to get home so you want to EVADE detection and confrontation. You want to blend in if traveling along the public right of ways. Travel fast and light and under the
cover of darkness as much as possible. What about non-lethal defenses like pepper spray? Sure don't want to attract a bunch of attention with a gun fight.
I carry bear spray. Big can, super hot, and sprays 30 feet. If it will stop a griz, it will stop you. You want a concealable weapon with a high mag capacity. Shoot and run, shoot and run, get away and get home. Here's the biggest question... Are any of you in shape to actually do this. Cutting grass with your pack doesn't cut it. I encourage you to look up the Army Physical Fitness charts and see what Uncle Sam expects for your age. Wear boots!!! Obviously, you have never carried 30 pounds on your back in running shoes cross country. You need the arch and ankle support that a GOOD hiking boot provides. There are light weight models with Gore-Tex liners that are great for this. I can run in mine. I could go on and on but Iam sure I have offended all of you enough already. Let me know if you want more abuse. I would be happy to add more of my thoughts based on years of experience.

Are you guys kidding me! You got the right ideas as far as requirements, i.e. food and shelter but what about navigation. Your execution sucks!
And carry a battle rifle?Good grief! If I came across you in a hammock, I'd roll you up in it like a body bag and then start asking questions. The whole idea is to get home so you want to EVADE detection and confrontation. You want to blend in if traveling along the public right of ways. Travel fast and light and under the
cover of darkness as much as possible. What about non-lethal defenses like pepper spray? Sure don't want to attract a bunch of attention with a gun fight.
I carry bear spray. Big can, super hot, and sprays 30 feet. If it will stop a griz, it will stop you. You want a concealable weapon with a high mag capacity. Shoot and run, shoot and run, get away and get home. Here's the biggest question... Are any of you in shape to actually do this. Cutting grass with your pack doesn't cut it. I encourage you to look up the Army Physical Fitness charts and see what Uncle Sam expects for your age. Wear boots!!! Obviously, you have never carried 30 pounds on your back in running shoes cross country. You need the arch and ankle support that a GOOD hiking boot provides. There are light weight models with Gore-Tex liners that are great for this. I can run in mine. I could go on and on but Iam sure I have offended all of you enough already. Let me know if you want more abuse. I would be happy to add more of my thoughts based on years of experience.

Why is it the first thing that army guys ask in threads like this is, "are you in shape?" It doesn't take the standards on the APFT to make the walk home with what amounts to an assault pack.

Anyways, You mention their navigation plans and how they suck, yet don't offer any advice. As far as having a main battle rifle, some guys plan for things far worse which may require more than your standard pistol calibers. And if i am running and gunning then I would want an MBR anyways.

Now i'm not saying carrying the bear spray is a bad idea, but if you already have a concealed weapon, whats the need? If you are "bailing out", and have to defend yourself then you may as well pull your pistol. That way if they get the drop on you you don't have to try to drop the spray and then pull the pistol.
You are correct that boots would be a good option, but the op may have planned to walk along roads, or he may only have a bag for normal situations and isnt going all out to prepare for a red dawn style shtf scenario.

With your vast knowledge and experience you seem to have maybe you could give some examples of good boots.

As far as your "abuse" is concerned I don't know if you have read any other threads, but skin is thick around here so give it your best shot, OR you could tone it down a bit and try not to be a do*che with your first post.
Just out of curiosity, what do you do in the army, and could you enlighten me on your vast years of experience. It's my experience that guys in the army with the years generally have the maturity not to start with a post like yours on a forum like this.

:pop2:

Seems to me that some of these posts tend to lean more toward a BOB, rather than get home. Unless you are always 100 miles from home, I don't see the need for 5 days worth of stuff. Keep it lean, get home quick.

It all just depends on what you are prepping for. Myself I have a bag that I keep in the car in case of emergencies, or I get stranded and have to get back to the apt. Then at the apt I have my bail out "ruck" which is what I would grab if I had to try to get from bragg back down to my family in alabama. Like I said it all just depends on your individual plans.

Why is it the first thing that army guys ask in threads like this is, "are you in shape?" It doesn't take the standards on the APFT to make the walk home with what amounts to an assault pack.

Anyways, You mention their navigation plans and how they suck, yet don't offer any advice. As far as having a main battle rifle, some guys plan for things far worse which may require more than your standard pistol calibers. And if i am running and gunning then I would want an MBR anyways.

Now i'm not saying carrying the bear spray is a bad idea, but if you already have a concealed weapon, whats the need? If you are "bailing out", and have to defend yourself then you may as well pull your pistol. That way if they get the drop on you you don't have to try to drop the spray and then pull the pistol.
You are correct that boots would be a good option, but the op may have planned to walk along roads, or he may only have a bag for normal situations and isnt going all out to prepare for a red dawn style shtf scenario.

With your vast knowledge and experience you seem to have maybe you could give some examples of good boots.

As far as your "abuse" is concerned I don't know if you have read any other threads, but skin is thick around here so give it your best shot, OR you could tone it down a bit and try not to be a do*che with your first post.
Just out of curiosity, what do you do in the army, and could you enlighten me on your vast years of experience. It's my experience that guys in the army with the years generally have the maturity not to start with a post like yours on a forum like this.

:pop2:

this X2

Back
Top Bottom