• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get Home Bag inventory

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I got a list together of things I have packed in my Get Home Bag and thought it might be worth sharing here. Let me know if you have any suggestions or if anything looks out of place, input is always welcome!

This is basically a bag I put together to offer me pretty minimal sustainability for 2-3 days on the road or a trail. Just something to throw in the trunk of my car in case I need to hoof it home for whatever reason.

I have everything packed in an old London Bridge 3DAP (older Ranger surplus) I picked up at a show for $30.

Sleep-
1- GI Poncho
1- Hammock
1- Bivy sack
2- Web straps/hooks – 15’
4- Sliding paracord tie downs – 1/8”x 15’
4- Aluminum stakes

Eat-
1- 6L hydration bag
2- MRE meals, stripped (may add a third)
1- Wide canteen cup
1- Pocket stove
4- Esbit fuel bars
2- Coffee sets (instant, cream, sugar)
1- Spork
1- Cup

Clothes-
1- Running shoes (worn)
1- SS t-shirt (worn)
1- Pants (worn)
1- Undies (worn)
1- Socks (worn)
1- Undies
1- Socks
1- Thermal (lower)
1- Wool sweater
1- LS t-shirt
1- Knit cap
1- Gloves
1- Bandanna
1- Sunglasses

Survival-
1- Large knife
1- Waterproof bag
1- Pocket lighter
1- Waterproof match set
2- Trioxane bars
2- Chem lights
10- Water tabs
1- Compass
1- Headlamp
1- First Aid Kit, stripped

Misc-
3- Magazines, loaded (9mm)
1- Toothpaste
1- Toothbrush
1- Antibacterial wipes
1- Sunscreen tube
1- Bug juice
1- TP
1- Hand sanitizer
1- Bandanna, Red
1- Small towel

All items marked (worn) would be packed in the bag and either exchanged out or left behind based on redundancy. This is a colder-weather list, in the summer time I plan to change out the cold gear and add more warm clothes (shorts, undies, shirts, socks).

Last edited:
looks like a pretty good list to me, but BuckSlayer is right, coffee does dehydrate. Also, maybe another pair of socks. You gotta have dry feet, or that trek home or wherever would suck pretty quickly. Also, something for you to think about is getting some subsonic ammo for that pistol. If you did have to use you firearm it wouldn't leave as loud of a rapport. Overall not a bad list.

Hmmmm, did not know that about the coffee vs tea, thanks guys. Ill bring some along this coming trip and see how I can deal without that morning cup of mud :) And yeah I am thinking another pair of socks is in order also. Think i can squeeze one in somewhere.

What do yo all think about hand and toe warmers? In the colder months it might make sense, especially if I don't want to have a fire for whatever reason.

Yeah I was thinking of adding a map of the metro Atlanta area, something that shows the Marta stations and lines and major roads at least. I will be on the lookout for a good one, thanks!

Put it all in your pack and wear it while you mow the yard or do something active.

Your list looks great but I bet its heavy. Try the load out before you have to use your load out.

Well I got my last piece of kit packed last night and threw it on the scale. With ~5L of water and no ammo I am right around 25lbs. Not too terribly heavy, but was hoping to keep it well under 30 in the end and fully loaded Imma be right at 30lbs Im thinking. Plus this pack is stuffed to the seams. Might have to cut out some things this weekend, going to test it out on a short 1-2 mile walk and see how I feel.

Probably going to cut this stuff from the list:

1- Trioxane bars
1- Chem lights
1- Magazines, loaded
1- Bug juice (replace with smaller item)
1- Hand sanitizer
1- Small towel (replace with wash cloth)

Thinking that should drop a few pounds and I wouldnt miss the stuff, its all comfort things except the extra mag and triox which were redundant.

Back
Top Bottom