• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get Home Bag inventory

I got a list together of things I have packed in my Get Home Bag and thought it might be worth sharing here. Let me know if you have any suggestions or if anything looks out of place, input is always welcome!

This is basically a bag I put together to offer me pretty minimal sustainability for 2-3 days on the road or a trail. Just something to throw in the trunk of my car in case I need to hoof it home for whatever reason.

I have everything packed in an old London Bridge 3DAP (older Ranger surplus) I picked up at a show for $30.

Sleep-
1- GI Poncho
1- Hammock
1- Bivy sack
2- Web straps/hooks – 15’
4- Sliding paracord tie downs – 1/8”x 15’
4- Aluminum stakes

Eat-
1- 6L hydration bag
2- MRE meals, stripped (may add a third)
1- Wide canteen cup
1- Pocket stove
4- Esbit fuel bars
2- Coffee sets (instant, cream, sugar)
1- Spork
1- Cup

Clothes-
1- Running shoes (worn)
1- SS t-shirt (worn)
1- Pants (worn)
1- Undies (worn)
1- Socks (worn)
1- Undies
1- Socks
1- Thermal (lower)
1- Wool sweater
1- LS t-shirt
1- Knit cap
1- Gloves
1- Bandanna
1- Sunglasses

Survival-
1- Large knife
1- Waterproof bag
1- Pocket lighter
1- Waterproof match set
2- Trioxane bars
2- Chem lights
10- Water tabs
1- Compass
1- Headlamp
1- First Aid Kit, stripped

Misc-
3- Magazines, loaded (9mm)
1- Toothpaste
1- Toothbrush
1- Antibacterial wipes
1- Sunscreen tube
1- Bug juice
1- TP
1- Hand sanitizer
1- Bandanna, Red
1- Small towel

All items marked (worn) would be packed in the bag and either exchanged out or left behind based on redundancy. This is a colder-weather list, in the summer time I plan to change out the cold gear and add more warm clothes (shorts, undies, shirts, socks).

This stuff looks pretty good. The only thing I see you missing is a multi spice shaker. I can point you in the right direction if you need one. they come in pretty handy. LOL.

A S&W 3913, what I usually have in my car. Would be carrying it outside my bag.

Have you thought about a semiauto rimfire for your travel weapon? I know there are pros and cons behind this. You could carry alot more ammo for the rimfire and also if you do have to use it, it is alot more quite than a centerfire. I know one of the cons is the stopping power of a rimfire... But if you carried a magazine loaded with hyper-velocity ammo for the times when the SHTF, then have other lower velocity amo for the other times if you need to discharge the weapon.

Also you could strap items to the outside of the pack to free up room on the inside. Like the hand towel, take it out of the pack and get one thats OD green and strap it to the pack. That on its own would free up room on the inside.

Contents do look good though! BK.

I most definitely have! Really wondering about carrying my AR15 in the car with some 5.56 and a .22 kit with ammo, buying a small .22 survival type rifle (AR7 style or the like), or getting a 9mm carbine like a KelTec Sub2k to keep the ammo standardized. Leaning towards the AR15 I think, even though keeping it in the car 24/7 makes me a bit antsy. Any thoughts?

For a get home bag, I would keep as light and inconspicuous as possible. If the SHTF, I wouldn't want to risk having that AR confiscated after marshal law is declared. I'd keep it at home and just concentrate on getting there as quick as possible.

I went back and looked at the inventory list in your bag again and I saw that it contained things just as it is intened, a "get home bag". If it were me, I would think more on the lines of a handgun like the Ruger .22 semi auto. It is a VERY reliable firearm, it is compact enough so as to keep weight down and as I stated earlier you could carry alot more ammo and many different kinds. You have done a good job of being weight concious so far so I would stay in line with that. Remember you made up the bag to be a "get home bag" where you can make it home or where ever your large cache of survival/travel gear is. I would think that you would want ease of mobility and stealth to be factored into the putting together of such a bag. I have chosen not to carry a long gun in my vehicle for that reason. If I have to abandon my vehicle, I will grab my "get home bag" also. I carry a Ruger MKII strapped to te outside of my bag. It is inside a pistol rug along with 5 magazines (loaded). It is also in a holster (don't forget the holster). I do carry a Glock model 22 on my person with 3 loaded mags, but I have the Ruger as a backup you might say. I have a cache approx 1/2 mile from my house, so that I can arm myself better and ease in and make sure everything is ok. If not, I will make everything ok, then collect my family and move on to my safe place.

This is only my opinion and I am sure that it differs from millions of other opinions. Like I said, I have chosen not to be burdened with a long gun for many different reasons; My bag is easily obtained, grab the top handle and GO. It does not get much attention (one of my black guns would get alot more attention). I feel confident enough with a short gun to make it home. I carry alot of ammo, over 250 rounds for the .22 and 46 for the Glock. I can move very quickly and stealthy with my bag. These are just a few reasons off the top of my head.

I hope this has been helpful, maybe some food for thought anyway. BK.

I would probably leave the toothbrush and toothpaste, unless it took up minimal space. My breath would be the least of my concerns for 2-3 days. Consider a small radio to keep up with the news (if there is any), and a spare battery for your cell phone. The cell phone system may be overwhelmed or down, but at least you'll maintain the ability to use your phone without adding much weight or bulk. I would probably include a small multi-function tool and something that could cut through fence if it's not too bulky. What about a very small pair of binoculars to scope out an area before you enter it?

My clothing would probably be army-surplus... with plenty of pockets to hold extra gear.

Very interesting thread.

i think i would add 100 ft. of para cord and a couple large contracter trash bags and saftey pins and a fire steel. good flash lite with extra bulb and battries,tie wraps,tin foil

Last edited:
I most definitely have! Really wondering about carrying my AR15 in the car with some 5.56 and a .22 kit with ammo, buying a small .22 survival type rifle (AR7 style or the like), or getting a 9mm carbine like a KelTec Sub2k to keep the ammo standardized. Leaning towards the AR15 I think, even though keeping it in the car 24/7 makes me a bit antsy. Any thoughts?

I have thought about putting my AR in the trunk, but, I don't know. If I lived in Dawsonville or Cumming and worked downtown, then maybe yes. But working as close to home that we both do, I opted to stick with the pistol. It wouldn't take either one of us that long to get home to the rifle. I could see putting a cheap 10/22 in there because if it was stolen, i wouldn't be out much, or maybe even a wasr-10

Back
Top Bottom