• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get Home Bag inventory

JJ, yoiu sure those MRE's are ok? The last one's I saw you try to eat didn't work out so well for ya. I can loan you the spice rack if you need it, just say the word bro.

Don't carry as much in my GHB but each individual carries what they need based on their experiences and preferences.

My BO gear is modular in scope. My EDC becomes part of my GHB, my GHB become part of my BOB. My EDC has core components that I always take with me. Other parts of my EDC change depending on the area and the environment I expect to be in during my travels.

Last edited:
Nobody carries cash in their bag? Unless something super catastrophic happens, cash will still be king for at least a little while, unitl the world or region you are in figures out what's worth somethng and what's worthless. I'm also carrying a few doallars face value in 90% silver coins.

Carrying cash in a separate compartment of your bag always ensures you'll have it readily available, even if the power goes down and ATMs are off line and banks are locked up tight. Besides, everybody and their mother is going to hit ATMs and banks if they're still open - it's a kneejerk reaction to a disaster. There is only enough cash available at any one time to cover 5-10% of customer deposits. Do you think you'll get yours?

Guns should be small enough to fit in your bag and remain concealed. You don't want the attention of police (who are looking for armed looters) or someone who suddenly decides they like your gun better. Don't give me tough guy lines about how you'll outshoot them - you won't know until the bullets hit you.

Finally, unless there is an EMP or solar event that knocks out auto electronics, you can probably just drive if you have fuel. Everything else - except for an earthquake or WMD - we should have some warning of roads closing, evacuations, etc.

I most definitely have! Really wondering about carrying my AR15 in the car with some 5.56 and a .22 kit with ammo, buying a small .22 survival type rifle (AR7 style or the like), or getting a 9mm carbine like a KelTec Sub2k to keep the ammo standardized. Leaning towards the AR15 I think, even though keeping it in the car 24/7 makes me a bit antsy. Any thoughts?

Hey. You live in Atlanta. You are planning on putting a highly sought after hollywood style weapon in your car and leaving it in there...

Just sayin bro...

Just looking through my get out/ get home bag this evening... Anybody else packing a pedometer? I know they aren't super accurate unless you are taking steps the same length (at least for my old mechanical style unit) but at least it's an idea... Trekking through off road or other rough terrain, surely you won't expect uniform steps. But if you're off the normal roads and trying to figure out how far you've traveled is there a better option? Of course I'm excluding GPS units that will give an exact range.

personally i'd probably get rid of the hammock. Not worth the weight and space IMHO. I have slept in them plenty but if I were trying to get home in a hurry, I'd be more likely to just pull out the bivy bag and snuggle up on the ground. use the backpack as a pad underneath me if it's colder or pile up some leaves and crawl into that with the bivy and you'll be good to go, not to mention camoflaged. :)

I agree with boots vs. shoes. if you plan to go on paved roads or right of ways, the running shoes would be nice, but with a pack and anything off pavement, a pair of sturdy hiking boots or hiking shoes would be the ticket. plus get ones that are waterproof and that helps a lot. you'd be amazed at how wet your feet can get just from a heavy dew in the morning.

I like the idea of the Keltec folder or the AR7. I think I'm going to have to get one of the Keltecs. (Marshall & Sanow only gave the Stinger 22 a 34% one shot stop rating) Remember what they did in New Orleans when they saw homeowners with guns. Instead of a big knife (I own plenty), I pack an Ontario XM-1 folder. Only about a 3 1/2 inch blade, but real beefy handle. Less conspicuous in the pocket. Did you happen to include a photo-journalist or fishing vest with a lot of pockets, in your gear? I take cord, but I prefer trot-line cord to para-cord. It's strong enough, but a lot less bulky. I second the duct tape. I carry the brown stuff Brigade quartermaster used to sell. It's more flexible and sticks good. Fix everything from a busted boot to a bad cut to making a splint. I've never used a bivy sack, I'll have to check them out. I carry a poncho and a poncho liner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom