• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Checking interest of Long Range Shooting instruction

Interested in Such a Course?

• Yes

Votes: 80 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters
Hey Shadow, thought you dipped out to FL, glad to have you back up here

Good deal mouzzer, I would be interested also, we used to offer multi day course on long distance and it fizzled as everyone wanted a sub moa in 8hrs lol. Let me know where/when etc and if you need help, I could ask one of my instructors to assist as a RSO and would be nice to be the "student" for once lol

I certainly will be in touch with ya when I get a few more things squared away and start laying down a solid timeline.

Also, I've sent out what Training Materials I have assembled thus far. If you send me your email, I sent it to you. If there are any issues with the email, you did not receive it, or you'd like to give me your email address just let me know. I explained in the email that their is more info to come so just bare with me while I get the rest back together. If you have any questions about the material please post them here so I can reply or clarify them to the benefit of everyone. I apologize for any issues I tried to work quick to get it out by Sunday. Should have a great deal more done and detail incorporated by Wednesday. In the mean time feel free to read over the FM-23.10 I included in the Field Manuals folder. Lots of good information their even if it is two decades old.

Interested in this course. Do you know yet how much ammo we'll need?

Not just yet because we're still trying to determine how many days it will be. I wouldn't expect any more than 50 rounds per day.

Anyone that needs/wants a Ballistic Calculator let me know on here and I'll send it out to you. It is an excellent tool to build a starting point for your databook.

UPDATE

After talking with many of you about the length of training I've come up with an idea. I want everyone's feedback on this because I can't seem to come up with a better scenario. A typical marksmanship course is 40 Hours (1 Week) minimum so trying to effectively condense all that knowledge into a day or two is really counter productive. Fortunately though a lot of the training is classroom based. I'd like to put together the rest of the training material I am working on and then also include a couple review questions at the end. I would ask that anyone planning on coming to shoot to please study and complete the review questions to ensure that everyone arrives with a similar knowledge base. This way we could devote the whole two days to actual range time. Another member on here gave me the great idea of incorporating hard-targets and obstructions to our shooting. In other words, shoot cars, through glass, loopholes, etc. I'd like to get everyone on the same page before the course starts then on the first day at the range we could go over information and do demonstrations to get everyone comfortable. Then the next we can come out swinging get good dope on our rifles in the morning and then use everything we've learned to shoot our way through certain courses of fire. Again, like everything about this, feedback is welcome. We're all in this together.

Bob

I think that's a great idea. Personally I have done lots of reading and research on long range shooting, so I understand the concepts. What I lack in the formal training and experience you are offering us. I would think that most of those interested would be at a similar place or could get there before the meeting.

Skip any shooting other than basics, kiss method is going to work out best I think. Even if you have them answer questions, you have no idea where the skill set is until you've seen what they can do.

Skip any shooting other than basics, kiss method is going to work out best I think. Even if you have them answer questions, you have no idea where the skill set is until you've seen what they can do.

I absolutely agree. I didn't mean to insinuate that we'd show up and start doing advanced firing iterations. Either way the entire first day will be devoted to confirming every ones knowledge and focusing on fundamentals. Depending on how that goes I may consider incorporating the other aspects the follow day.

Also I am finishing up a quick reference guide for Range Estimation / Wind Calculation. I will Email it out to everyone I sent the other info to and I will also post it here in case anyone else wants it.

Back
Top Bottom