• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Checking interest of Long Range Shooting instruction

Interested in Such a Course?

• Yes

Votes: 80 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters
I'm interested in some further education on wind reading and fieldcraft. I have a rifle and have shot long range for some tiem, but often in low/no wind conditions.

do you have a location in mind? <ETA> read the rest of the thread :p

Last edited:
How about 75 grain hornady's thru a 7.7 twist Krieger barrel?

Like I told one of the other guys earlier today, Ballistics are Ballistics, Fundamentals are Fundamentals, Atmospherics are Atmospherics. While these factors will carry different levels of impacts on varying calibers they are still applicable to all. I've never used 75 Grain but based off the 7:7 im pretty sure you would do just fine. I also want everyone to kind of use this as an educational piece as well as a familiarization. What I mean by that is get to know your individual gear and equipment. As you all will see with some of the drills we'll do, Not all scopes truly adjust at 1/2 mil, 1/4 mil, etc like your dials may indicate. You may be .01 or .02 mils by no fault of your own. This combined with extended ranges and all the other aspects of distance shooting can cause a miss. We want everyone to become intimate with their set up so they know how to compensate for these things.

I'm interested in some further education on wind reading and fieldcraft. I have a rifle and have shot long range for some tiem, but often in low/no wind conditions.

do you have a location in mind? <ETA> read the rest of the thread :p

low or no wind conditions? I wish we could all be so lucky.

As of right now I am confident saying the training will occur north of Atlanta. All the places I'm working with are in that general direction.

Like I told one of the other guys earlier today, Ballistics are Ballistics, Fundamentals are Fundamentals, Atmospherics are Atmospherics. While these factors will carry different levels of impacts on varying calibers they are still applicable to all. I've never used 75 Grain but based off the 7:7 im pretty sure you would do just fine. I also want everyone to kind of use this as an educational piece as well as a familiarization. What I mean by that is get to know your individual gear and equipment. As you all will see with some of the drills we'll do, Not all scopes truly adjust at 1/2 mil, 1/4 mil, etc like your dials may indicate. You may be .01 or .02 mils by no fault of your own. This combined with extended ranges and all the other aspects of distance shooting can cause a miss. We want everyone to become intimate with their set up so they know how to compensate for these things.

My point was kinda, dont limit it based on caliber alone. My 223 gasser will hit steel just the same as a 308, it might not hit as hard, but it'll do.

low or no wind conditions? I wish we could all be so lucky.
Gunsite Hills in Lexington is ~700-750 yards. Once me and a buddy were shooting in January. It was near 30 degrees with 30 mph winds gusting in the trees, but in the bullet path, at 600 yards with a 175gr SMK at 2670fps, there was about an inch of drift. At that point it's hardly worth even adjusting hold. That's what I mean by low/no wind.

Conversely, at Hard Rock in Opelika, Alabama we shot to 1,000 yards, and there were multiple crosswinds. The bullet trace looked like a snake. How do you adjust for a 10mph wind from 3:00 at 300 yards, a 5mph wind from 10:00 at 600 yards and a 5mph from 3:00 at the target? It was more of a case of "fire for effect" than spotting trace. I had an experienced spotter and there were shots in that competition that he just said "I didn't see sh-ite."

b.a- I'll be with you shooting a gas gun. do you reload, or are you shooting factory 75 Hornadys? PM if you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom