• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Checking interest of Long Range Shooting instruction

Interested in Such a Course?

• Yes

Votes: 80 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters
I absolutely agree. I didn't mean to insinuate that we'd show up and start doing advanced firing iterations. Either way the entire first day will be devoted to confirming every ones knowledge and focusing on fundamentals. Depending on how that goes I may consider incorporating the other aspects the follow day.

Also I am finishing up a quick reference guide for Range Estimation / Wind Calculation. I will Email it out to everyone I sent the other info to and I will also post it here in case anyone else wants it.

Wind calcs and range estimation is good butt I wouldn't put too much into it right now. personally I'd try to simply have steel every 50 yards from 300 to your max distance that you can shoot you get everyone a good baseline. 10" circle steel every 50 and a smaller 1moa sized target on the hundreds along with the 10" circle. Or even a 2 moa piece of steel every 100.

Range Estimation

In order to determine the distance from your firing position to your target it is necessary to know dimensions of your target or other items at equal distance to your target. Things such as road signs, wheels, and mail boxes maintain standard sizes which can be used to determine range. These dimensions will vary when changing countries however.

Mil Relation Formula
TS = Target Size (in inches)
IS = Image Size (in mils)
R = Range (in meters)

Formula: TS / IS x 25.4 = Range (in meters)

IS x R / 25.4 = Target Size (in Inches)
TS / R x 25.4 = Image Size (in mils)
25.4 Will be your constant for this formula

Example
Formula: TS / IS x 25.4 = Range (in meters)

Target Size (In inches) = 12
Image Size (in Mils) = .4

12 / .4 x 25.4 = 762 meters

Accuracy 1st Wind Formula For .308

Formula: RANGE x (Value of Wind / 4 MPH)
8 mph = 2
10 mph = 2.5
6 mph = 1.5
14 mph = 3.5

For odd number wind values add the remainder in decimal for, i.e,
RANGE x Wind 9 mph / 4 = 2 with a remainder of 1
RANGE x 2 = Value + .1 = Adjustment in mils

For 300 WIN Mag use Formula: RANGE x (Value of Wind / 5 MPH)

Break Down

Range 500 meters = .5 mils (for every 4 MPH)
Convert range to decimal, i.e. 500m = .5

Wind Value 8 MPH (8/4 = 2)
Wind value divided by 4, i.e. 8 MPH / 4 = 2

Solution .5 x 2 = 1.0 Mils
Multiply the range by your divided wind value.
The output value will be your hold in Mils.
Just be sure and hold into the wind ;-)

Important Note for Longer Ranges
At ranges 700m and greater it is necessary to add .1 to your constant value, i.e.,

700m to decimal = .7 + .1 = .8 as your constant range value

800m to decimal = .8 + .1 = .9 as your constant range value

900m to decimal = .9 + .1 = 1.0 as your constant range value

1000m to decimal = 1.0 + .1 = 1.1 as your constant range value

Just my .02 worth but I might be worth doing a one day all classroom class before going out to the range. That way everyone has some basics down before going to the range, and possably being over whelmed.

That certainly would be ideal, however, I am still trying to figure out ways we can make maximum use of our time.

Man, I was talking about taking a long range class yesterday, as Im green on anything outside of 500 yards, so Id be all over this. Thanks for doing this!

Back
Top Bottom